Cheapest C2D That Won't Bottleneck 8800GT

choogi

n00b
I want to get the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard paired with an Intel C2D processor. What's the cheapest processor that won't bottleneck my MSI 8800GT OC 512MB? I was looking at the E6750 on Newegg for $190, but I might not need that much performance.

Probably any C2D won't bottleneck the 8800GT. E6750 is a good choice.

i have a E6300 running at 2.8 ghz. do you think that will bottleneck my 8800 gt ?

What res? If you're doing 1920x1200, no C2D will bottleneck it (unless you're playing Quake 3 or a similarly old game), but if you're doing 1024x768, they all will :)

What res? If you're doing 1920x1200, no C2D will bottleneck it (unless you're playing Quake 3 or a similarly old game), but if you're doing 1024x768, they all will :)
QFT. This is such an ambiguous question, really. It all depends on what resolution and what game is being considered.

Here's what you could do. Get the 8800GT and load up one of the games you want to be playing. Start with a low resolution and work your way up to the maximum of your monitor using timedemos or FRAPS to evaluate performance. If you notice a significant performance drop when increasing resolution that means you are not CPU bottlenecked. If they stay the same, then your CPU is holding you back at the lower resolutions.

But really, unless you're playing at 1280x1024 or less, CPU bottlenecking isn't that huge of an issue. Some games like Supreme Commander are an obvious exception because they're so CPU intensive.

Probably any C2D won't bottleneck the 8800GT. E6750 is a good choice.

I agree with this comment. I mean sure if you get a faster c2d it will give you a couple fps more than a slower one but its not going to be some kind of a mind blowing experience of a difference.

So to answer your question anything current gen from either amd or intel should do you just fine for your 8800GT.

EDIT: Kaldskryke makes a valid point about how the newer generation of games are starting to test the power of cpu's again. Also to echo in on what other people have been saying. More details please.

Back