Cheapest Bandwidth Limiting Switch

65Kfosta

Weaksauce
I do some work for a local nonprofit and they are in need of a switch that supports bandwidth limiting. One of their out buildings has 2 computer users that like to download large files all day long. Even after constant reminders the problem still remains so we have decided to limit their bandwidth. This is a special situation for me so im trying to save them some money. They need something reliable but cannot afford the high end Cisco stuff. Any thoughts? Something used is ok as long as its reliable. I need no more then 24 ports.

Thanks !

Why not implement this through a router? It's fairly simple to do that way. If it has to be a switch however, you can pick up older Cisco gear on the cheap that is capable of that (2900 series for example).

If you consult for a non-profit, you could ask network gear from tech soup (depending of your country).

As I understrand from QoS it is preferable to go on from the router level. You could install DDWRT on a SOHO router, or install pfSense on a barebone system.

The ability to do that may already exist in their current router. If it has QOS settings, you can usually just give the computers the nuisances are using the lowest possible priority, and/or raise the priority of other computers. The router may allow you to set quotas for bandwidth, but that will cause a problem if they need the network to do any actual work. You can also find out where they are going for their downloads and just block that sites ip address. (Easy enough to get around, but it is basically free).
Or the best option, present the individuals in question with a company electronics use policy, and have them sign it. (All employees that use a computer should have already done so.) Then threaten termination if the problem persists. If they are volunteers, I guess you will have to weigh their value against the nuisance they are causing.

^ What he said.

A signed policy is the way to go. Other than providing protection for both employer and employee in the form of definitive rules, it shows those offenders that crap won't be tolerated.

What are they using as an internet gateway?

Last edited:
The ability to do that may already exist in their current router. If it has QOS settings, you can usually just give the computers the nuisances are using the lowest possible priority, and/or raise the priority of other computers. The router may allow you to set quotas for bandwidth, but that will cause a problem if they need the network to do any actual work. You can also find out where they are going for their downloads and just block that sites ip address. (Easy enough to get around, but it is basically free).
Or the best option, present the individuals in question with a company electronics use policy, and have them sign it. (All employees that use a computer should have already done so.) Then threaten termination if the problem persists. If they are volunteers, I guess you will have to weigh their value against the nuisance they are causing.

Yeah that's what I was originally thinking. One of the main problems is we are dealing with volunteers who seem to be in with upper management. So while upper management is not happy with the downloading they have yet to get to the firing point yet.

You could check if your current router support QoS and limit the rate on downloads.

Kick the two users off? Why wonder what to do with the eggs when you can kill the chicken.

if they are using bit-torrent or something like that just go into the router and block the ports they are using. problem solved :D

Just be careful not to limit traffic between LAN hosts, only out to the internet. That is if you plan on doing it on a switch.

Keep in mind here that you cannot solve a behavior problem with technology.

Make sure that management understand they're throwing money at a problem to create an imperfect solution.

If the staff want to goof off, they will.

How much bandwidth are we talking about here? Would 10mbps still be too high? You could always just put their port lower.

Also block all the outgoing ports but http, https, ftp, ssh and other standard ports that may be needed for business purposes.

Could also make a general anouncement saying that websense has been installed to start tracking internet usage. They'll slow down knowing their internet is being watched. (they wont know that it's not true)

"Huh, you know in this economy we could hire 3 people to do your job for less money, and they'd waste less bandwidth. Something to think about."

Back