Cheapest 2080Ti available

Dunno about newegg open box but with Amazon and Microcenter I've had good luck.
If a video card was sent back it was for a reason. All these companies do at best is verify that the card boots up and if they check it at all. If you are buying locally then its not as much of a hassle if there is an issue but no way in hell I am going to risk having to deal with an issue with an etailer. Heck most of the time you will not even have the option of getting a refund if you check the return policy. IMO spend a little more and avoid this plus get the game promo.

I've had bad luck with Amazon and Microcenter Openbox. Got a bad power supply from Amazon and a bad motherboard from Microcenter.

I'm guessing that they didn't even do any QC when the first guy returned it. They just checked to see if everything in the box looked alright and put it back on the shelf as an open box to resell again.

not with them negatives you're not. Didn't mama teach you about bad juju or what?

Naturally. Only make claims AFTER buying not before ;)

If a video card was sent back it was for a reason. All these companies do at best is verify that the card boots up and if they check it at all. If you are buying locally then its not as much of a hassle if there is an issue but no way in hell I am going to risk having to deal with an issue with an etailer. Heck most of the time you will not even have the option of getting a refund if you check the return policy. IMO spend a little more and avoid this plus get the game promo.

I've had bad luck with Amazon and Microcenter Openbox. Got a bad power supply from Amazon and a bad motherboard from Microcenter.

I'm guessing that they didn't even do any QC when the first guy returned it. They just checked to see if everything in the box looked alright and put it back on the shelf as an open box to resell again.

Good points! Product matters, the only open box things I buy are : CPUs, RAM, Mobos, HDDs (enterprise only), GPUs. They either work or dont, no in-between and when they fail, they fail quickly under stress so easy to test.

Last edited:

That's not bad luck with Amazon, but everyone has had a defective product at some point. I would say you had good luck b/c Amazon is the best when it comes to returning shit. Good luck returning a video card to Newegg. Hint: you can't unless the product is unopened. In fact most GPUs you can't return anyway I believe.

That's not bad luck with Amazon, but everyone has had a defective product at some point. I would say you had good luck b/c Amazon is the best when it comes to returning shit. Good luck returning a video card to Newegg. Hint: you can't unless the product is unopened. In fact most GPUs you can't return anyway I believe.

Yep. Unless its a great deal I don't order off newegg. They have the worst return policy, but they are probably best when it comes to securing stock lol. So people order from them out of that I believe.

You are right. They used to make exceptions once in a while before for long time customers, for me it was a straight no. No refunds, replacement only lol.

But gigabyte gives you good warranty though so at least you are covered there. I actually pulled the trigger on this, with discover cashback, ended up being 800 out the door. Which is pretty damn good.

Thanks to 5% paypal discover cashback and $100 for wifey's new card lol, which we got just yesterday lol.

But on this one you can return it I guess. If something wrong and they don't have any in stock the rep told me it automatically goes to refund. I am unsure if they will replace it with a brand new one if you do a replacement RMA. But if they do open box to bopen box and its no longer in stock its Auto refund.

Just curious what your history of open box purchases is.

I have bought a large number of open box cards in the past few years, and the only molested one was an RX570 from MC that had a mining bios on it. It was poorly configured so I fixed that. Card worked fine otherwise.

The $298 RTX 2070 open box is quite nice,

Just curious what your history of open box purchases is.

I have bought a large number of open box cards in the past few years, and the only molested one was an RX570 from MC that had a mining bios on it. It was poorly configured so I fixed that. Card worked fine otherwise.

The $298 RTX 2070 open box is quite nice,
MC really needs better qc when people return shit. Like 4 out of 6 things I went to check out open box were trash. But when something looks good it is a hell of a deal. I got a ASRock i9 MB for $130 and looked brand new. Just the box was a little beat up. Other MB I checked out over time were missing everything and had damaged pins. I brought a EK 1080ti block for $60 that was only missing the thermal pads.

People seemed to have taken a chance on it because it says out of stock now.

I usually chance open-box stuff.. making sure it has some sort of warranty first. On day one, I'll test it completely with torture tests and benchmarks to ensure basic functionality -- this usually weeds out 99% of potential problems. Then I'll use it for a week or two with normal and strenuous use. If it performs well, it will likely have as long of a lifespan as any other new component. "Open Box" on Ebay is a different story though -- steer clear of that, because I find those are dead about 50% of the time or more..

MC really needs better qc when people return shit. Like 4 out of 6 things I went to check out open box were trash. But when something looks good it is a hell of a deal. I got a ASRock i9 MB for $130 and looked brand new. Just the box was a little beat up. Other MB I checked out over time were missing everything and had damaged pins. I brought a EK 1080ti block for $60 that was only missing the thermal pads.

It probably depends on the store.

I now make a habit of inspecting the item before buying

And if it has the fully warranty, it's just a bit of warranty hassle to get it sorted. Sometimes this is worth the savings, and other times it isn't.

I don't think almost anyone carefully checks open box before re-stocking it anymore. That's why it's important to know what you're getting and/or have a solid return policy and warranty.

Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure that both Fry's and Microcenter open returns. I know that several years ago I returned a CPU and a GPU to MIcrocenter They were unopened and they broke the seal to make sure the CPU and GPU were in the box.

Back