Cheapest 12 port SATA controller?

jfromeo

n00b
Hello all.

I am building a DIY NAS with 12x4TB HDDs, which I plan to run in single disk mode (no sensible data in any of them, and no need to run any raid/unraid/zfs mode, just media to be streamed through my network).

I have all the parts, except fot the SATA controller. The mini-itx motherboard only has 2 SATA ports (1 for the SSD with the OS and the other one for a eSATA connector), so I need a SATA controller with a PCIe interface capable to run 12 single SATA HDDs.

I have only one PCIe slot in the mini-itx motherboard, and the biggest SATA expander I have found can only hold 8 SATA HDDs.

Given this escenario, the controller I am looking for would have to comply with the following requeriments:

• PCIe/PCIe 2.0 interface
  • 12 SATA ports (3xSSF internal connectos)
  • Cheapest as possible (150-200€?)
  • No need for SATA2/3 bandwith (150MB/s is more than enough for sstreaming through a gigabit interface in singe disk mode)
  • No need for SAS compatibility
  • No need for RAID features

The controller cards I have researched up to now come with a lot of features I would never use, besides, most of them jumps from 8 disks (2xSSF connectors) to 16 (4 SSF connectors), and costs well over 600€. Which SATA controller is most suitable for my needs? No problem with acquiring a second-hand one.

Thanks a lot in avance.

You can add a SAS expander powered from the power supply to do this. (It's why they have a molex connector AND a pci connector; either is just for power).

I'd suggest using as short as possible cables.

Any reason you cant use the motherboard ports ?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the input!

My motherboard is an mini-itx one, and it only has 2 ports.

The SAS expander sounds pretty good. 16 ports for a bit more than 100€ is a great deal I guess..

I'm not sure which expander you found there.
Note that you will need an SAS controller like an LSI 9211-8i or IBM M1015 in addition to the expander.

For 12-16 drives I suggest a 9201-16i. Alternatives I have no experience with are Adaptec 71605H and 71605E. All three cards are around 300€.

Oh thanks. I thought I would not need any SAS controller with the expander.

I have found this controller from Highpoint:

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/cs-series_DC7280.htm

DC7280%20card-1.jpg

32 SATA 3GB/s internal ports with PCIe 2.0 x8 interface (8xSSF) at a reasonable price (300-350€).

If I could find a 12 port one equivalent, it would be ideal, as it may lower the price tag (I only need 12)

It will probably work fine as long as it supports the NAS os you want to use. I would internet search the HBA card model number with the OS you plan on using to see if anyone else is running it.

Thanks a lot.

I think I will run some light OS, resouce-wise, such as FreeNAS/NAS4Free or OpenMediaVault. I will ask in their forums if there is such compatibility.

FreeNAS isn't really a light OS... unless you skip ZFS and just use UFS anyway.

I'd look around a bit to get an idea of what support will be like for that HBA though, generally LSI HBAs are recommended.

Back