Cheaper alternative to Silverstone NT06 cpu cooler

Artic Freezer 7. You can remove the shroud and run fanless if you are not overclocking.

Definately the best "cheaper" alternative.

I wonder if you get the SG03 in its 2x120mm fan configuration and a stock CPU cooler if it will be comparable to a SG01 with its 2x80mm fans & NT06 that runs off heated air off the hard drive. I mean the SG03 new and improved cooling system should give you SOMETHING. I really don't know how much, but just consider for instance my SG01+NT06+E6600 (not overclocked) is 42C idle a 28C room. Hard drive is the coolest component at 38C since it is positioned at the air inlet unlike the SG03 which blows fresh air over to the processor and with greater 120mm fan flow.

I am also looking for a new heatsink to replace the stock A64 3700+ that I have and will probably be putting it into a SG03 later on.

I was thinking of going with one of the older zalman cpu coolers but I did not check to see if it will fit.

I just had an idea for an alternative for the nt06 but I'm not too sure if it would work...

I looked up the Cooler Master GeminII cooler and I figured it has a comparable height comparison to the NT06. There is a 3mm height difference but I'm sure you could mod something to get the extra clearance. The GeminII has 3 more heatpipes and more area for cooling... Hell, you could probably even mount one more 120mm fan on the end that sticks out past the psu

it is pretty damn cheap at clubit right now too http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA1906039

When your looking at the dimensions on both newegg and clubit which number represents the height of the heatsink?

Physical Spec
Heatsink Dimensions 175.0 x 124.6 x 81.5mm

the geminII is 81.5mm tall... It's pushing it height wise and would probably need mods, but I think that the performance would be rather impressive for an SFF.

the geminII is 81.5mm tall... It's pushing it height wise and would probably need mods, but I think that the performance would be rather impressive for an SFF.

So is the last number in these specs copied from either newegg or clubit (forget) the height?

Physical Spec
Heatsink Dimensions 175.0 x 124.6 x 81.5mm

Try to find one that is 78mm tall. Or stick the one you get into a vise and crunch it down. Or just suck it up and pay the extra $25 for something that you know will fit perfectly.

Zalman has a new heatsink out called CNPS-7500. It's an upgraded 7000 with new mounting hardware that makes it compatible with all current CPU's. Directron and one other retailer I can't remember right now have them in stock. I have 2 on order right now from Directron. they had the best price $32.

I always thought this would look nice in a SFF. Hell, I'm even considering it for my upcoming SG01 build.

32mm tall, $33 FTW!

- JT

I always thought this would look nice in a SFF. Hell, I'm even considering it for my upcoming SG01 build.
32mm tall, $33 FTW!
Ignore this previous post from me, I must have been smoking some serious crack when I wrote this. That heatsink is a lot bigger than 32mm, I was only looking at the fan specs. Heh.

Sorry!

- JT

Back