Cheaper 480GB SSD

rtangwai

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to upgrade my SSDs on my main workstation. I currently run 3x60GB Samsung SSDs in RAID0, early models that don't support TRIM. This is my boot drive so I personally don't consider it the optimal setup.

I use my workstation mainly for productivity software like Microsoft Office and for playing games (Star Wars The Old Republic, Dragon Age II, etc.). I had used Virtualbox on it extensively in the past for testing applications but I recently migrated all my VMs to my ESXi host.

I don't want to spend a huge fortune on this so I've been shopping around. I have seen the Mushkin Chronos 480GB (non-Deluxe) 7mm drive for $300CDN plus taxes, best price for a 480GB drive I can find. I can't seem to find any reviews on it, only on the Deluxe version. How good are the Mushkin SSDs? Should I be concerned they are using SandForce controllers? What kind of performance hit would I be getting compared to the Samsung 840 Pro?

Could always get a 500GB 840 for around 300 USD shipped via eBay or similar sites (I think they go for 330 on Newegg).

Been happy with my (2) SanDisk Extreme 480's I bought at $299 new thus far. Toggle NAND, though runs stock SF firmware. One is my boot drive/app drive for Windows 7, the other for my "Cat" OS. Adding a third for Steam pretty quick. Running out of SATA 3 ports on my X79 platform, which is inexcusable looking back at what I spent on the platform.

They are snappy, cheap, and the only caveat is be careful with the SATA data/power connectors. (I use decent hot swaps to avoid the problem entirely). But other than that, solid drive so far.

Back