Cheap water cooling better than best air cooling?

jpinard

Limp Gawd
I kind of messed up my Zalman CNP9500 heatsink so I have to get something new. If I have to spend $40-$70 on a new heatsink, I guess maybe I should look at watercooling my cpu if I can get it for under $130? Is that possible? Or are the best air coolesrs as good as cheaper watercoolers?

No. I have seen both cheap and expensive watercooling that was no better than air.

And I have seen water cooling that was quite a bit better.

But for your price range I very much doubt you'll find any watercooling better than air.

khanable said:
Yes!! I bought this kit from petra's and it is fantastic. It beat me SI-120 by a few degrees and is very easy to setup. Petra is the man too and backs everything he sells 110%.

Very nice kit for the price.

Wow... that sounds like it might be a good option. So it's easy to setup? Does Petra make it all himself... or is it just the shop?

Yes it is easy to set up, and includes instructions.

No, nothing in that kid is manufactured by Petra himself.

How much of a temp difference could I expect? Right now, with 5% OC, I idle at 34C & load at 50C.

Athlon64 FX-57
DFI NF4 Ultra-D

well right now on the kit I idle at 32c or so and load at about 46. Im at 2.6 instead of 2.0, though... :D

and I am sure I could get better temps if I reverse the fan on the rad to blow air into the case (cool air) instead of the hot shit thats in there now out through the rad..

khanable said:
well right now on the kit I idle at 32c or so and load at about 46. Im at 2.6 instead of 2.0, though... :D

and I am sure I could get better temps if I reverse the fan on the rad to blow air into the case (cool air) instead of the hot shit thats in there now out through the rad..

I get those temp with aircooling , where is the improvement ???

I guess watercooling only makes sense if u use huge radiators outside the case . If not u got the same temp with quiet aircooling solutions ( and much cheaper ) . In the end it doesnt matter what u use it always comes down to aircooling . :D

Well my E6300 at 3.5 loads at 48'c so... Yeah, definitely some improvement over the 55-60'c lots of people are seeing with a ninja...

Radiator's also inside.

What's your load temp/processor/overclock game?

game14 said:
I get those temp with aircooling , where is the improvement ???
Yeah but having a loon running at 600rpm getting those temps isn't the same as having a TT using at 5000rpm getting those temps.

Some of us like silence. But if a turbine sound doesn't bother you, then stay with air.

[IO]ERROR said:
Yeah but having a loon running at 600rpm getting those temps isn't the same as having a TT using at 5000rpm getting those temps.

Some of us like silence. But if a turbine sound doesn't bother you, then stay with air.
First of all i have no TT running at 5000 rpm and second there is no turbine sound . I like silence too ....absolutly quiet the best , but u cant reach that with watercooling either . U still need a fan for ur rad and ur case , and second the pump itself makes noise too .
The quiet fans u use for ur watercooled system u can use for air too !!
If it bothers u that i get those posted temp with my old Thermalright xp 90 , not my problem .
So please stop being ofensive .

Back