cheap vm home server build

looking to make a cheap and low power vm server build for home

its going to run

1) pfsense
2) some type of nas software - xpenology or unraid (need own cloud)
3) some type of proxy vm to route things via my vpn service

build is as follows:

existing antec case with 350w psu from an old core 2 or p4 build (cannot remember)

Athlon 5350
Asus A1Mm-A MATX (I wanted to get the asrock am1b-itx, but none of the canadian sites seem to have it in stock)
8gb kingston
ebay intel dual nic @ pcie 4x
128gb sandisk ssd - boot drive
existing si3124 sata card @ 4x sata
3x 1gb HD (have already) for raid 5

to use the intel nic and the spare sata card, i need to get the matx board vs itx

wanted to use exsi 5.5 or 6, but may have to patch it for the sata card.

pfsense will be the router / squid 3 filter

i need owncloud, so xpensology looks like the easiest way t get it going with a raid 5 type setup for redundancy. the asrock board had 4x sata. since the asus has only two, i need to use this old sata card.

i need to setup some other type of vm appliance to act as a proxy to route a house full of torrenting, popcorn time, etc through torguard. basically something I can configure all installations of vuze, etc to connect to and use as a seperate ip on my network.

i wanted to fit this all in one machine. i can build a seperate celeron j1900 based setup for the nas, but would rather not.

any thoughts? suggestions?

Look at the HP Gen 8 Microservers. They're available for £150-£200. Run VMWare off a USB stick. You'd want to replace the onboard 2 GB RAM with 8 GB. There's no RAID 5, though.

Back