Cheap Video Editing Build Help

mMike01

Weaksauce
0) Please use PC Hound to post your system build.

https://pchound.com/FWQS9S/

1) Budget ~400-500

2) Figure out which components you would need for your setup. When we're referring to components, we mean:

Case
Power Supply (PSU)
Motherboard
Processor (CPU)
Memory (RAM)
SSD

OPERATING SYSTEM (OS): Windows 10 Pro

PERIPHERALS/OTHER ACCESSORIES: None

3) Determine what the computer is going to be used for. It could be designed for one primary task, or it could be a "multitasking" machine capable of performing multiple/various tasks.

Basic video editing, Lightworks, other free video editing software. Microsoft office for school work.

I would like the future potential to maybe do some gaming (if possible). Games like Fortnite.

4) Figure out which features you want on your computer. The motherboard could contain many of those features that you want already, but you may have to purchase other components in order to fill in the remaining gaps.

Sound and other standard features

5) Overclocking - No

6) Determine how long you want your machine to last. Depending on how well you take care of your machine, as well as how quickly technology changes during that time, you may or may not hit your self-imposed mark. You also need to consider how often you plan on updating key components in order to allow your machine to last longer.

3-5 years

8) Come up with a list of what you want. By this time, you have an idea of what you want. List your entire (planned) setup, including what you already have in your possession. Perform some more research to make sure that all of the components that you chose is compatible with each other.

What I initially put together, parts are also in PC Hound Link above

Case: Fractal Design Focus G MId-tower Case - $49.98
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS 550W 80 + Gold Power Supply, Semi-Modular, ATX12V/EPS12V, Compact 140 - $53.98
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M Micro-ATX - $68.98
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - $164.99
Memory: Corsair Vengence 3200 (2x8gb) - $104.99
SSD: Samsung 500gb EVO - $99.99

Total: $542.91

9) Figure out where you are going to purchase everything from. There are many places to shop at, but make sure that you choose at least two or three locations to shop from. Some places overcharge for certain components; NewEgg, for example, have some of the highest prices (in the US) for power supplies. This is by no means a complete list of stores to buy from but it should tell you which stores people usually buy from (please note that the following links are for US-based retailers):

Hopefully Microcenter, I would really like to get the mobo and SSD discounts when you buy those together with a processor. ( i think it's $30 off on the mobo and $5 off on the SSD)

NewEgg
Amazon

10) Build Timeframe: Within the next couple weeks

Like the thread title, this is for my son to do school work and fool around with video editing.

Right now, I have an old Nvidia 260 I will put in the PC for the time being, and maybe in a few months I'll put in a 1050, or something relatively inexpensive.

Any advise would be appreciated, currently with what I put together, I'm a little over budget. Plus I want to make sure at this price point, it won't underperform.

Thanks in advance

Seems like a good system so far.

If you can spring for the 2600X for a little boost, that would be great, if you can get it with a discount at microcenter.

Else, a 2600 by itself should be nice for you.

Also, if you get to pick physical stock, make sure you get a board with an updated BIOS especially if it's the original B350 models (since those launched with Ryzen 1st gen and will need a BIOS update to run Ryzen 2nd gen chips).

The 1050 successor may be out by 'a few months' time, so you may as well wait for what NV/AMD have before pulling the trigger on a GPU.

For video editing, maybe you'd want to add a bigger hard disk drive too?

Thanks for the reply.

Good to know about the BIOS. Am I wrong, but it is my understanding if I needed a BIOS update, I would need an older CPU compatible with the older BIOS, perform the update, then install the newer processor? Or can you just update the BIOS with a USB with the newer CPU in the board?

I would like a bigger hardrive, I figured I could easily pop in a cheaper mechanical drive in the future when the 500 gb SSD starts to fill up.

Graphics card isn't a priority, I know its super old, but my old 260 gtx should be fine for him now ( i don't think he's anywhere near the point of adding things to videos that would require a more powerful GPU). I just planned on keeping an eye on GPU prices, look at used ones, and if something is a great deal I will jump on it. He's not much of a gamer, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Any advice to maybe get to 500 or below? I keep hearing that Ryzen likes fast RAM hence picking the 3200; however, I can save a few bucks with slower ram. Not sure if this is a wise compromise. Additionally, I could look for a cheaper SSD maker, are there any cheaper brands that are very reliable and trusted?

Thanks again.

I ended up buying all the stuff from Microcenter, had to make a few changes based on what the store had in stock. Ended up getting the price down to $519.

Went with:
-Ryzen 5 2600
-MSI B450 Pro-VDH MicroATX motherboard
-16 GB Ripjaw V (2400) memory
-Samsung 500 GB 860 EVO 2 SSD
-Corsair CXM 650 watt 80+B PSU
-Corsair Spec-02 redshift case

I didn't realize the employee grabbed me 2400 RAM, i contemplating going to Best Buy and spending 10 dollars more on the Corsair 16 GB (3200) RAM kit i had in the original build. Would any recommend i swap the RAM? Or is the 2400 GSkill fine?

Thanks

What program are you using to edit video? It's a hugely relevant question as they're optimized differently. If you're stuck using Premiere, then throwing as much clock speed and Cuda cores is what you want.
If you're using a much better programmed application like Resolve, then having more system resources (such as more cores) is advantageous. And any fast graphics card will help out.
Still though, the builds shown here seem good for the budget you have to spend.

Thanks for reply. It's for my son (10 years old), he's been using free version of Lightworks (and possibly any other free software if I find one better) to edit and make videos. He doesn't do anything crazy, as he just started learning.

For the time being, I'm putting in a very old GFX card (GTX 260). I'm thinking maybe in a month or two, i will either put in a GTX 1050, or roll the dice on a used GTX 980 from ebay (I'm hoping to get lucky and land one for 100-120 dollars.)

He will also use this for school work, he likes to use powerpoint, excel and word. He isn't much of a gamer.

Thanks again.

Thanks for reply. It's for my son (10 years old), he's been using free version of Lightworks (and possibly any other free software if I find one better) to edit and make videos. He doesn't do anything crazy, as he just started learning.

For the time being, I'm putting in a very old GFX card (GTX 260). I'm thinking maybe in a month or two, i will either put in a GTX 1050, or roll the dice on a used GTX 980 from ebay (I'm hoping to get lucky and land one for 100-120 dollars.)

He will also use this for school work, he likes to use powerpoint, excel and word. He isn't much of a gamer.

Thanks again.

Cool deal. I think your build looks good. I would highly recommend seeing if you can get your son onto DaVinci Resolve. It's free. There is a "full paid version" that costs $300 (for life, which is totally worth it). The only issue is that depending on what sort of files you're working with it might be slow (the free version is using an open source h.264 decoder, the paid version has a much better optimized one as an example). If all you're doing is working with 1080p, it probably won't matter either way. I find that generally speaking working with 1080p, most any computer can do it from the past 5 years that has a decent graphics card and processor from the time, it just becomes a problem in 4k+.

My reason for saying to use Resolve is that it's probably the most powerful color editing tool, it has a very powerful editing system and workflow that I would say is better than Premiere and it is a much better optimized program than most video editors (although it will suck up every last drop of system resources it can get its hands onto). I'd also that it's probably the application that is going to be used more and more and would be good to know as an editor if your son decided to keep going down the path (although I will say it's likely he'll learn multiple editors over the course of time if he does).

Thanks for that info. I will look into Resolve for him.

Yeah, I hope he sticks with it. I have no problem investing in something that he's shows a clear interest in. In a addition to the editing, he's been showing a general increased interest in computers lately, asking me about programming and stuff (i'm not a programmer). Hope his interest continues and he and keeps learning.

Thanks again.

Built the PC this weekend with my son. Was able to find a EVGA GTX 960 SC for 50 bucks locally on craiglist. Switched out memory from the GSkill 2400 to Corsair LPX 3000.

Considering the price, i'm happy with the build. Ran some benchmarks and stress tests, CPU and Graphics running at good temps below 70 degrees. Benchmarks seem what I should expect.

Wish the monitor was better, cheap insignia for now. Going from my 1440p 27" dell, it's a big difference.

Cinebench R15 Scores:

Open GL: 119.18
Multi-CPU: 1273 cb
Single-CPU: 163 cb

Thanks all for help

IMG_0476.JPG IMG_0479.JPG IMG_0482.JPG

Very nice chose going AMD as going forward I hope Ryzen 2 is drop in , At the time I wanted a 2600 but the 1600 reached $149 in hand (Best Buy does price match) .. it was 2933Mhz in Zen+ memory baked in , not Zen so get it to run 3200Mhz is not so easy of a task as timings being lose helps blue screens if you want the speed .

As for a video card, RX 570 8Gb with free games makes the video card almost free as waiting on the 2nd game to release and my video card will end up costing $49 … if you got the game with your 2600 then don't pick that game with video card as you can get all 3 games free like that 2600 paired with RX 570 purchase , here is an idea of the performance a RX 570 8Gb offers http://www.3dmark.com/fs/18441635 as I never got to pair it with my 1600 ..

If you choice an RX 580 here is what that looks like with the 1600 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/18479356

Thanks for the advice. Just looked it up, the gfx cards are pretty inexpensive, and between the Ryzen and AMD graphics card, 3 free games is quite a good deal. I'm also liking how the PC performs. The Ryzen 5 is a great value.

However, he is on his own now. If he wants new graphics or peripherals, he better do some power washing and lawn mowing this coming summer.

Its actually quite nice making him build it (under my supervision) and explaining hardware to him. He now knows about graphics cards, how they get installed. I know he's been looking at hardware, because my birthday is coming up, and yesterday my wife said, your son told me to get you a "Titan RX or something" for your birthday. I laughed and told her that thing costs more than all the PCs we have in the house.

I'm happy though, he's using the PC as intended for his vid editing. He downloaded resolve earlier in the week and has been watching tutorial videos.

Thanks again.

Back