• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cheap version of Paradigm

ranger0900

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
230
so i went to my local high end audio stores and checked out the speakers.
Found that I was drawn to the Paradigm models. Preety incredible if you ask me.

Any idea on a cheaper version of these brand of speakers?
(I listened to them without a sub, and I could hear the bass perfectly, seemed to be warm sounding, and not like you were far away from the source)
 
Paradigm sells several levels of their speakers.. from the atoms, to the monitors, to the studio reference, to the signatures. You just have to find the speaker that fits your budget and your sound tastes.

How much were you looking to spend anyway?
 
I listened to their 800 and 1200 dollar series speakers and they were incredible, but out of price range. I'm not even sure if I can afford any of their speakers for that matter.
 
Yeah I heard those.. you were probably listening to the Studio Reference series. Those are pretty nice, but I was about to pounce on their SIgnature Series (2200$ and up) before I realized that spending an entire speaker budget on just the mains was insane. I wised up and bought some Polk LSi instead (~$1000).

Anyway, what is your budget? There are several speakers out there that might be good for you and your budget. I can suggest a few if I knew your budget.

Less than $500 for a pair?

Less than $400?
 
I'd say around 400 a pair would be awesome, you can go above or below that if you know of some killer speakers.
 
what do u guys think of a paradigm pdr-10 matched up with a set of titians?

i was looking for something to kick the pants off my klipsch ultra set, but in a 2.1 form. :)

i'm matching them with a onkyo tx-502b reciever.
 
I am still on the fence about that .... it would be good for a small room but I dunno how well it would fare against a SWS.
 
Below $400?

Hmm.. I can think of a few.

There is a way to get some $809 Polk LSi7 for around $400 - it's ebay. I bought all my Polk LSi from ebay and they all sing beautifully. The Polk LSi should be at your local HiFi store like Tweeter or Magnolia HiFi, if you want to listen.

Here is a link to the LSi series straight from Polk:
http://polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=25

You can even read my reviews of the 7 and 9s there... to get a better insight on these speakers.

You should google "LSi7 reviews" and you will find that there many favorable reviews of this product.

- Other speakers to consider are probably some Onix Rockets speakers... you can probably get a used pair of Rocket 550s for around $600-700 (stretching the budget, sorry).

- Another possibility is the awesome Polk LSi9 ($1039 retail, for about $600 shipped from the guy I know on ebay)... take the 7s, but improve everything a notch.

With either of those three speakers, you are in hifi territory.

There is another speaker company I can let you know about, but I dont really like their products:
- Axiom Audio (www.axiomaudio.com)... cheap speakers but rather poor build and the sound doesnt compare to the higher end speakers I mentioned earlier (same price category of course).
 
sweet!! Thanks for all the recomendations, I have already started going through all of them.
 
I have owned a set of the monitor series since 2001. I must say i really enjoy them and constantly get compliments on them. For the money they are hard to beat.

my mains are the 90p
center is CC370
rears are mini monitors.

The 90ps would shake the gutters outside my house, now that Im back in school i have them turned down a bit in the apt. :).

If you dont want to go with the monitor series there are some more affordable lines, the cinema series is pretty sweet to.

heres the site

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmProduct.html

good luck

Nate
 
Mister X said:
I am still on the fence about that .... it would be good for a small room but I dunno how well it would fare against a SWS.

You mean SVS, or the Klipsch add-on SWS?

It might beat the Klipsch guy, but there's no way it would stand up to any of the SVS line.
 
PinchyCM said:
Pinipig, what do you think of the PDR10 vs a Dayton?

I'd save up a few extra bucks and get an SVS PB10-ISD, it would blow the PDR10 out of the water. A great place to do some searchs for sub info is at www.hometheaterforum.com , they have reviews of a goodly number of different subs. They are a little fanatical about SVS over there, but from my experience, it's not without reason =]
 
For around $400-500, Listen to some Klipsch speakers...I have a pair of RB-35's and I love them.
 
BO(V)BZ said:
I'd save up a few extra bucks and get an SVS PB10-ISD, it would blow the PDR10 out of the water. A great place to do some searchs for sub info is at www.hometheaterforum.com , they have reviews of a goodly number of different subs. They are a little fanatical about SVS over there, but from my experience, it's not without reason =]

Well out of my budget. I'm getting a PDR 10 for like, 200ish.
 
PinchyCM said:
Pinipig, what do you think of the PDR10 vs a Dayton?

I feel that the Dayton vs PDR10... it should be a pretty even match. The tie-breaker should be the price. How much can you get the PDR? If a little over $200, then I would say go with the Dayton for sure.

At around 100-120 (depending on sale), the Dayton is very potent for the price. Nothing is free though, dont expect SVS PB10 power out of the Dayton. But if you budget only allots for something cheaper, get the Dayton and you should be pleasant content.

If you can afford $200, get two daytons. :)
 
Yeah, the dayton looks to be $130 + 20ish shipping. So about $150.

The PDR will be around 200, or just shy of. I might be able to get it lower.

Have you heard the two?
 
Not the PDR.....

Wait a few days... call up partsexpress.com and ask when are they going to put the Dayton up for sale again. It's almost a monthly thing. Usually it is 99$.
 
Aaah - I was just seeing, because I find it hard to believe that a Dayton that cheap would best a Velodyone 10" and a Paradigm PDR10. It's a helluva sub for the $, but sometimes I wonder how much people overhype it. .
 
Pinipig523: do us all favor and spend a couple minutes of your time reading forum rule #22.
 
(22) No active links, graphics, cussing or advertising allowed in the SIGNATURE. Sig line is limited to 10 lines total as viewed @ 800 x 600 resolution or no more that 15 words per line.
---

You mean my sig shows on all others' surfing this site? I didnt know that.. I cant see it. I'll cut it short... I didnt even know I had it displayed. Sorry.
 
Normally I would just send you a PM but I got a report post notification so.....
 
PinchyCM said:
Well out of my budget. I'm getting a PDR 10 for like, 200ish.

Ok, but it's worth the recommendation :D I'd also say look at the Dayton, seems like more sub for the money.
 
BO(V)BZ said:
Ok, but it's worth the recommendation :D I'd also say look at the Dayton, seems like more sub for the money.


I will - I have a feeling that people over hype the Dayton though. We'll see.
 
PinchyCM said:
I will - I have a feeling that people over hype the Dayton though. We'll see.

Well, the Dayton weighs a bit more, which is always a good thing, and has slightly better extension. I've not seen any detailed reviews for either, so all we can really go on is the basic stats that each mfg gives out.
 
BO(V)BZ said:
Well, the Dayton weighs a bit more, which is always a good thing, and has slightly better extension. I've not seen any detailed reviews for either, so all we can really go on is the basic stats that each mfg gives out.


Yeah, it does weight a bit more. Probably isn't the size of the magnet though - maybe the enclosure. Either way, while I'm sure it's awesome for 99 dollars, I find it hard to believe that it bests subs 3x the cost. Just skeptism I say, but I'll find out more. :)
 
PinchyCM said:
Yeah, it does weight a bit more. Probably isn't the size of the magnet though - maybe the enclosure. Either way, while I'm sure it's awesome for 99 dollars, I find it hard to believe that it bests subs 3x the cost. Just skeptism I say, but I'll find out more. :)

It's certainly true there's a big cost differential, but there's a lot of great bargains out there, either way. Compare an SVS to a Rel sub, you'll see a 3x price difference there too =] Also, magnet weight is probably not the limiting factor for a sub like that, so I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect. At the prices of both of these subs, there's most likely several other compromises made to keep costs costs down that would weigh heavier on the SPL/SQ level.
 
Haha, thanks for the heads up.

It turns out that the Paradigm PDR-10 was listed incorrectly. It's a PDR-8. ::INSERT BIG SADFACE::

I guess things aren't going ot match afterall, unless I can find a PDR-10 or PDR-12 at a decent price. Or maybe a PS1000 at a incredible price.

I suppose I'm open to suggestions now...Anyone tried the Velodyne VRP1000?
 
PinchyCM said:
It turns out that the Paradigm PDR-10 was listed incorrectly. It's a PDR-8. ::INSERT BIG SADFACE::

That's no good :( Can't really say I'm any help at all.. I've only got a reasonable amount of experience with 2 different subs, my PB2+ and a Polk 8"er my friend has.
 
Back
Top