• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cheap upgrade for parents PC

Strategy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
295
hey all, looking to add a small upgrade to my parents PC to give it a little more boost. Its starting to show its age and is slowing down a bit.

I was planning on a core 2 duo along with a faster HDD, any other recommendations on the cheap?

Current specs:
Intel Pentium D 930 @ 3.00 ghz
2 gigs of ram (not sure what), win 7
 
the walmart link is a better buy then getting a c2d at this point. If you want to put something togeather cheap to replace the mobo, cpu & memory look in the direction of AM3. Should be cheaper then 775 & current generation with ddr3 rather then buying outdated parts that are starting to become harder to find.
 
What motherboard do you have?
Are you willing to buy used hardware?
 
Its a pre built HP from a few years ago, not sure what mobo it has.

That eMachines looks decent, but from what I remember eMachines was shit.

I work for HP and get a corporate discount, so maybe I will check out their prebuilt stuff if upgrading their current PC would not be worth it.
 
Dell Online Outlet.

(I also worked for HP and even with employee discounts, you can't beat some of the Dell workstation deals)
 
Its a pre built HP from a few years ago, not sure what mobo it has.

That eMachines looks decent, but from what I remember eMachines was shit.

I work for HP and get a corporate discount, so maybe I will check out their prebuilt stuff if upgrading their current PC would not be worth it.

E machines are probably about the same quality as any other prebuilt at this point. But yea if you get a corp discount (they have a big campus local to me) then definitely see what you can get. I know several people who do get a corp discount with HP & have bragged about the deals they have gotten.
 
Back
Top