Cheap triple monitor video card for nongaming

It really depends on what you expect to get when you will be gaming.

What games, resolution (guessing 1920x1080 or 1200) and settings will make a huge difference in what we suggest.

A used 6850 can be had for about 80 bux and it's slightly faster than the 7770. It'll play most games at 1080p, 60fps at about 85-90% max visual quality.

I'd vote 6850 secondhand. Then again, I may be biased as I have one sitting here willing to be sold. lol

HD7770 is a pretty good choice if you're going on the cheap. However if you want to put a little effort into it get a HD7850 for about $50 more, then sell the games it comes with to make up the difference. The HD7850 is faster than the HD7770 so it will hold out longer.

A *MAJOR* question: you currently have 2x30" monitors, are you possibly going to keep one for gaming? If so, you want to get a 2GB video card instead of 1GB - a 30" monitor is 4 megapixels, a 24" 1080p is only 2 megapixels so the extra VRAM makes a real difference. Same with Eyefinity, if you turn that on for your triple setup you'll be driving 6 megapixels instead of 2 and VRAM again will become important.

The 2GB cards are a bit more expensive than their 1GB counterparts. A lot depends on if the card is a long-term buy or just a short-term solution until the HD8xxx series comes out.

What power supply do you have?

i would rather get a new card. i have bad history with used computer parts. Also isn't the 6850 like 2. years old?

I don't plan on playing games much except the occasional BF3. I currently have three 24" monitors. I might play at 5760x1200 but im guessing i would need a $400 card for that?

Yes, if you are planning on playing BF3 at 5760x1200 you would need something with at least 3GB ram and good core to push some decent frames. Best recommendation would be a 4GB gtx 670 or 680.

don't you need at least an active display port adapter to use the other port off the cards?

since you cant use the DVI's and HDMI at the same time

Back