cheap speakers for new desktop

meyerkev

Limp Gawd
So I just bought a new desktop, and now I need some speakers to go with it. Looking for a good cheapish set of speakers with lots of bass that won't crackle and pop all the time, like the last cheap set I bought.

Since this is my families first desktop in 6 years, and we're using the OEM speakers on that, I don't have the slightest clue where to start.

Edit: Using onboard sound at least for now.

I don't know actually, because I don't know enough about speakers and how much they cost. The last set I bought were $30 for a 2 speaker setup, and they were godsawful, and they wouldn't stop hissing, cracking, and popping when I did anything on them. So maybe 1 or 2 steps above that.

In short, I need a pair of speakers that will play what I need them to, and won't sound like garbage in so doing. Spend as much as you need to make that happen without wasting my money.

Last edited:
Yeah, $20 is what I paid for those for my office computer.

Probably Logitech if you are looking for Cheap. I like my Klipsch 5.1 Setup but it is several years old now.

Well if the budget is $30, there will be nothing really that will sound "great". Maybe you will be able to find a good sale on something. My wife's Altec Lansing 4121 2.1 speakers were purchased for $19 during a Black Friday sale at Staples several years back. They are not great but not bad. My old Yamaha YST7 are sometimes found used for like $20. They are also not great but not bad (cleaner sound than most PC speakers but no bass).

At the $30 price, you might just as well go to the store and take a listen to whatever is available and choose what you like the most.

If you want to go to something that sounds decent you may need to go to at least $100 or so for something like the Promedia or the M10's. If you can go $250 then the Corsairs or the M50s are even a step above.

Of course if you spend a lot of time to look for something good used, then $250 may get you a pretty nice set of bookshelves (like the KRK RP6).

For $30, he could get a used minisystem on craigslist.

Or for $50, I can get the linked Dell's. Not looking for anything spectacular, just stuff that doesn't pop and hiss and crackle louder than the music I'm playing through it.

Back