• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cheap soundcard

EndersShadow

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
1,228
Long story short my Asus board SPDIF and Coaxial cable headers are dead. I dont feel like RMA'ing the board for like the 6th time. My receiver will only accept SPDIF or co-axial connections. The soundcard that came with the board does 5.1 but has no SPIF or Coaxial connections and the receiver cannot do analog connections.

As such I need a decently cheap internal soundcard (under 100, the lower the better) from a decent manufacture to pass the audio from the computer to the receiver. PCI and PCIx1 are fine. I have a blu-ray player in the computer but there is no way to pass the audio via HDMI so I will only be getting 5.1. I am OK with this.

Let the recommendations start.
 
I was looking for a 5.1 s/pdif out card and decided to order the Asus Xonar DX (which is the PCIe version, D1 is the PCI). I do not have it yet so cannot give a recommendation but it's $80 at JR Music online.
 
@Tuf
In my opinion, good choice! Just a review found out from the website for your reference
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/soundcards/2010/04/08/sub-100-gaming-sound-card-reviews/3
It did mention ASUS Xonar DX is excellent.

@EndersShadow
If you want a cheap soundcard, I would still recommend Xonar DS for you. In the same article, http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/soundcards/2010/04/08/sub-100-gaming-sound-card-reviews/2
you can find Xonar DS is a "brilliant budget choice". You can take this review into account. Hope this card can meet your end.
 
@EndersShadow
If you want a cheap soundcard, I would still recommend Xonar DS for you. In the same article, http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/soundcards/2010/04/08/sub-100-gaming-sound-card-reviews/2
you can find Xonar DS is a "brilliant budget choice". You can take this review into account. Hope this card can meet your end.

Only problem with that card is that there is no SPDIF connection. I need to use a SPDIF or Coaxial connection to get the audio to my older reciever has it has no analog inputs.

I am thinking about going with this card, thoughts?

I dont really need the 7.1 as I have both a ATI 4550 and 4870x2 that will send 7.1 out over LPCM but my reciever does not decode HDMI audio hence needing a SPDIF or Analog connection.
 
Decided upgrading to a new soundcard just wasnt worth it. I am going to purchase a refurb Denon 1610 instead so I can run everything via HDMI and actually get somewhat lossless sound. I say somewhat because my 4xxx series graphic cards cannot bitstream 7.1 but since I am only running 2.0 and at max 3.1 I am ok with this. I purchased a set of Infinity Primus 162's for the fronts in this system and they arrived today.

At a later date I might upgrade to a low-end 5xxx graphics card just to bitstream 7.1 but it wont be for a while.
 
Back
Top