Cheap SLR lenses compared to a ~$300 P&S

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
How is the quality of cheap SLR lenses compared to a mid priced point and shoot? I need a wide angle lens for my 350D and I have always thought that maybe I should get a P&S instead. It will be dual purpose because it will be a lot quicker to take out and snap photos and then it will fill in the wide angle lens that I don't have. A few days ago, I was about to hit the order button on a cheap (I think it is the cheapest wide angle) Sigma lens for $102 (18-50 F3.5>I think).

I am concerned about sharpness and geometric distortion when comparing lenses. I have no idea why some people want soft lenses but I sure don't. The sharper, the better. Obviously a cheap SLR lens will be slower than a P&S lens so we know who wins in this category. How about the sharpness and geometric distortion, is it possible that a $300 point and shoot can get sharper and less disorted pictures than say a $200 wide angle lens such as the DRebel kit lens. (I don't have the kit lens by the way).

you can get the canon wide 18-55 for right around 100 bucks and i would say for the money it's pretty damn good. http://www.flickr.com/photos/williampote quite a few of those pics were taken with the 18-55 kit lens the rest were with my 100-400 L or the 50 1.8. Just from personal experience pretty much any dslr lens will be faster then a P&S period, unless your using a manual focusing lens, i don't really see how there could be to much comparison.

Well some p&s's go as big as a f/2.8, where as the 18-55 tops out at f/3.5.
IF you're looking at a p&s for $200, you'd be looking at something with 5mp, and your 350XT is an 8mp. Then there's the start-up time for the p&s, and low light issues with focusing. I don't know, I think I'd get a lens for the dslr. If you don't have a little p&s, you should probably get one of those too. Although I never use mine anymore.

Well, I am referring to the F stop speed rather than focusing speed. I had a Canon S30 before my 350D and at 35mm, it was F2.8. Had quite a bit of geometric distortion wide open though.

Looking at the EXIF data for some of those pictures, I can find a few that are in the range of the kit lens. But then again, I also found at least one that was 75mm. Anyway, they are not as sharp as any of my lenses (all considered to be very sharp lenses). They seem to be as good or better than my S30 which I thought had a pretty good lens for a point and shoot.

I am leaning on the kit lens as you suggested but I only see it for about $160. Where can I find it for less than that? I thought it used to be less actually, maybe the price went up.

Rooster said:
Well some p&s's go as big as a f/2.8, where as the 18-55 tops out at f/3.5.
IF you're looking at a p&s for $200, you'd be looking at something with 5mp, and your 350XT is an 8mp. Then there's the start-up time for the p&s, and low light issues with focusing. I don't know, I think I'd get a lens for the dslr. If you don't have a little p&s, you should probably get one of those too. Although I never use mine anymore.
Well consider this. I'd really love if someone had a wide angle prime lens that was cheap. Prime lens are usually fast (F stop) and very clear. Canon has a 20mm USM lens but it is $400+ and it is supposedly not very sharp (hence, not worth the price). I will be using a wide angle lens for probably only one thing and that is shooting indoor shots. Room are small so I need a wide angle. This lens does not have to be that clear because indoor pictures look terrible anyway. The cheapest lens I have now ($230) is the one I take most pictures with and because of its speed (f stop), clarity and tiny size, it is my favorite lens walk around lens. This lens is the Canon 35mm f/2. The only bad thing is that there is no wider version of it for a similar price.

I think the 18-55mm is a little soft. I one of those sharp freaks too. I actually posted a tread here last year talking about it's softness. I can't remember what came of it, but I find my other lenses don't give me the same issues.

Get one of the 18-55mm f/3.5-f/5.6 (I have the Canon) lenses. The softness (which isn't that bad at all) is, in my opinion, a much better compromise than the blotchyness and unpredictability of a sub ~$300 P&S camera. Especially in low light where 1/3rd of a stop in lens apeture/speed won't make much difference - both cameras will be at ISO 800/1600 anyways, and the Digital Rebel XT/350D is much better here.

If you want to pick up a new P&S camera for portability though, I'd recommend getting one that has features that seperate it from the rest. I personally want a small waterproof P&S camera - that would be a feature my DSLR doesn't have, the the portability would get me pictures that I wouldn't carry my DSLR around for. Of course, pick features you want, but you'll have to decide what to compromise on when you make your final decisions.

Tim_axe said:
Get one of the 18-55mm f/3.5-f/5.6 (I have the Canon) lenses. The softness (which isn't that bad at all) is, in my opinion, a much better compromise than the blotchyness and unpredictability of a sub ~$300 P&S camera. Especially in low light where 1/3rd of a stop in lens apeture/speed won't make much difference - both cameras will be at ISO 800/1600 anyways, and the Digital Rebel XT/350D is much better here.

If you want to pick up a new P&S camera for portability though, I'd recommend getting one that has features that seperate it from the rest. I personally want a small waterproof P&S camera - that would be a feature my DSLR doesn't have, the the portability would get me pictures that I wouldn't carry my DSLR around for. Of course, pick features you want, but you'll have to decide what to compromise on when you make your final decisions.

Any recommendations for a small, waterproof P&S that can fit in my coat/shirt pocket when my 20D is too big to take with me? For instance, I would have loved to take my 20D to a black tie deal I went to a couple weeks ago; but alas, it would have been a bit akward.. ;) I borrowed my Mom's camera.. :D

jen4950 said:
Any recommendations for a small, waterproof P&S that can fit in my coat/shirt pocket when my 20D is too big to take with me? For instance, I would have loved to take my 20D to a black tie deal I went to a couple weeks ago; but alas, it would have been a bit akward.. ;) I borrowed my Mom's camera.. :D

The Pentax Optio WPi is waterproof to 1.5m, has a 3x optical zoom, and is 6MP.

I have the OptioWP and think it is a nice camera... Also for wide angle for your 350D, look at the Tamron 17-35 f/2.8...

Rooster said:
Everyone keeps saying a 17mm is a wide lens. Is that most people's opinion?
I'd consider anything under 35mm focal length to be a wide angle. On an APC sensor, that would have to be a lens of under 22mm. 17mm falls within that range.

Anything wider than that cost an arm and a leg.

Maybe I'm thinking ultra-wide. I have a 18mm lens and an EF-S 10mm-22mm lens and the difference is amazing.

KIT LENS $70

Not the best but you can still get some decent shots out of it, it will be better than any P&S you can get for way below what you are willing to spend. You do have a point in the convenience of a small P&S though.

pcMan said:
KIT LENS $70

Not the best but you can still get some decent shots out of it, it will be better than any P&S you can get for way below what you are willing to spend. You do have a point in the convenience of a small P&S though.
Killer price. I just ordered it. I decided not to even get a wide angle lens since I made this thread but at half the cheapest price I could find, who could resist?

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - No Box - Separated from Kit 1 $69.99 $69.99
Subtotal: $0.00
Shipping: $3.50
Total: $73.49

Staples said:
Killer price. I just ordered it. I decided not to even get a wide angle lens since I made this thread but at half the cheapest price I could find, who could resist?

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 - No Box - Separated from Kit 1 $69.99 $69.99
Subtotal: $0.00
Shipping: $3.50
Total: $73.49

Glad I could help. Some terrific shots taken with that lens.

Back