Cheap single purpose tablets

Ducman69

[H]F Junkie
I was looking at the Amazon Fire 7" tablet, which is a mere $41 per in a six pack, and was considering the utility of single-purpose tablets.

For example, in my bathroom I have a mirror mounted flush 6-port AC outlet that has dual USB chargers on top. Why not mount a tablet there that can just stay on 24x7 and show the current time and weather? And if you need to drop a deuce, put it on a magnet mount so you can browse the web on the toilet.

Then why not also have one mounted to the fridge?

Why not have another that's an alarm clock?

Have another that's mounted near the door that connects to the surveillance camera above my front door?

Any of that make sense, and if so, is a Fire tablet a good deal for that?

I see there are craptons of $40-50 Android 4.4 kitkat 7" tablets on the market... would those be a better choice since they are running standard android, rather than Amazon's proprietary crap?

Me and a few friends went in on a 6 pack and I plan to root it and hopefully get Cyanogen Mod running on it. No clue what I'd use it for but likely a universal home remote.

Nah, think I'll just keep using my phone for all that. :p

Nah, think I'll just keep using my phone for all that. :p
But your phone is going to have a noticeably smaller screen, and are you going to constantly hold it in your hand, or keep taking it in and out of a pocket... and when you're at home, aren't you often in your PJs or just undies walkin' around?

I see the appeal of having a device up where by the front door for example its just always showing the overhead camera, or front and back camera, and then I can swipe left or right to see the other cameras rather than pull out my phone, open the app, and see.

Generally speaking when I get home, I have a angled wireless charging dock/stand, by the door, and my cellphone just goes on that and has an app that turns it into an always on animated clock. Then when I'm ready to bolt, I know the phone is right there and 100% charged.

Eh... granted its "redundant" stuff, but for $40 a pop, why not?

I did this same thing but with Moto G and E's. I wanted the small device size to use as Sonos controllers and to operate the lights and thermostat.

My phone works fine but it is in one room of th ehouse and I frequently want to turn on or change the music in the kitchen or bathroom and my phone is no where in sight. Cheap $50-$100 phones solved this. And also gives me a backup phone if needed (on almost all carriers).

I have no experience with FireOS though. Does anyone know if they have the same type of ecosystem to support apps like Android does? Will most Android apps works on FireOS, or just stuff from the Amazon store? I'm totally clueless about FireOS and didn't want to touch it with a ten foot pole to date for that reason.

That's why I'm trying to decide on getting some 7" Fire tablets or sticking with a microcenter sale the next time they have a $40 android quad-core tablet.

I believe you can root previous Fire tablets and turn them essentially into Android tablets. That's a heck of a deal in my opinion. If I can throw Cyanogen mod on the $50 Amazon tablet then it will be immensely more useful than any device I could buy at that price.

I plan to simply use it as a universal remote for TV and other smart home products I have.

I have no experience with FireOS though. Does anyone know if they have the same type of ecosystem to support apps like Android does? Will most Android apps works on FireOS, or just stuff from the Amazon store? I'm totally clueless about FireOS and didn't want to touch it with a ten foot pole to date for that reason.

That's why I'm trying to decide on getting some 7" Fire tablets or sticking with a microcenter sale the next time they have a $40 android quad-core tablet.

I need a cheap 10-12" tablet with GPS. Resolution doesn't mean much. It'll be used for Navioncs HD app and Raymarine WI-Fish sonar imaging and support a lifeproof waterproof case.

Cheap, contour water way navigation with down imaging. Why spend $2500 on a dedicated unit when this can do the same for a fraction of the cost.

I believe you can root previous Fire tablets and turn them essentially into Android tablets. That's a heck of a deal in my opinion. If I can throw Cyanogen mod on the $50 Amazon tablet then it will be immensely more useful than any device I could buy at that price.

I plan to simply use it as a universal remote for TV and other smart home products I have.
Sounds like we'll have to wait for it to release and get a confirmation that cyanogen is even an option. As otherwise, it looks like it'd be crippled by FireOS.

Edit: Speaking of, here are some other cheapo tablets: http://slickdeals.net/f/8119256-asu...d-hd-7-16-gb-39-97-3-50-shipping-gamestop-com

16GB ASUS MeMO Pad HD 7 Tablet (Light Blue)
$39.97

Specs
Intel Atom Z3745 Quad Core 1.33GHz Processor
16GB Internal Memory
7" 1280x800 WXGA IPS Multi-Touch Screen
1GB RAM
Android 4.4

They also have a 8" version for $50. Not sure if these are any crappier than the Fire 7's, and already run Android. If there are no objections, I think I might pick up a few, even if just to have em by the crapper for entertainment while pinching a loaf.

Last edited:
Dammit! I thought about it over lunch, added four to my cart, and now they are sold out, lol!

I used to own a gen 1 Nexus 7. It was pretty amazing at the time, and i had it for about 2 years.
Yesterday at work i was helping a woman with a gen 2 nexus 7, and it was amazing all over again.
I think if you can pick up a nexus 7 gen 2 you will be on for a winner

I still use my 1st gen Nexus as my car headset on dash, it has slowed down but for doggcatcher and gps it works,

Back