Cheap SATA PCI controller.

MiXdNuTs

Gawd
I need a good but cheap SATA PCI controller. I want to add to my 80GB of storage but I see no point in buying an IDE drive and my system doesn't support SATA on the mobo so I will need a PCI card. Does any one have and links to good deals? I fond lots on the net but I dont know how good those cards are and the companies are mostly shady. Also, would it bo worth while to buy and IDE to SATA adapter for my current hard drive once I have the controller?

defakto said:
Hmm, over 250 products ranging in price from <$20 to >$500. You didn't even bother to filter out the motherboards from the results. I really don't think the OP is in the market for a whole new mobo. Perhaps next time you'd like to contribute something meaningful and helpful rather than insulting? - DL

With that said, the Silicon Image 3112 and 3114 based boards offer ok performance and good compatibility at an excellent price. I know that most of the makers of such cards aren't of quality reputation, but requirements for a card for your application aren't that high either.

I would not fool with the PATA drive to SATA host adapter, unless you have two HDDs in a master/slave arrangement at present. It's a $30 adapter that gets you a thinner cable, poor investment IMO.

Whitebread said:
A guy over at genmay(!) recomended me this controller.

I have that controller and it seems to be working fine. It does it's job and seems reasonably fast. Only thing is that windows doesn't have drivers built in for that controller, so you'll have to go through the F6/floppy routine if you need to install windows to that drive.

canis said:
I have that controller and it seems to be working fine. It does it's job and seems reasonably fast. Only thing is that windows doesn't have drivers built in for that controller, so you'll have to go through the F6/floppy routine if you need to install windows to that drive.
Na, my windows partition is on it's own IDE drive, this SATA drive will only be for video storage purposes.

I've got one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815124020
runnin Windows Software Raid5 on 4 x 200GB WD drives. Cheap, simple and works fine as a basic 4 port sata controller. Its in a P3 733 system and functions fine as a file video server. I'm planning on picking up a few more and adding 4 x 250+GB drives for a TB server. U could also keep a watch on the refurb section and see if u can pick one up cheaper.

Its no 3ware or broadcom but its the cheapest 4 port sata card that had a decent chipset in it. Nothing spectacular, but it works fine as a basic controller.

Back