Cheap SAS Controller with 4 to 6TB support?

lsudvm

n00b
I'd like some recommendations for a inexpensive SAS controller that can support 4 and 6tb drives (HGST in case you need to know). I'll be running Snapraid on Windows. I know I'll need the SAS to SATA breakout cables as well. But cards I dont' have a clue.

IBM Serveraid M1015. They can be had on ebay for as little as 100 bucks.

Will I need to flash it? Or will it work as is? What about a ASR-5805Z? They're pretty cheap too.

Last edited:
You will have to crossflash it to an LSI controller. There are a bunch of guides on here on how to do it. It's really easy to do. That controller you linked is a RAID controller. If you're planing on using software RAID (snapraid) I would avoid those types of controllers.

You will have to crossflash it to an LSI controller. There are a bunch of guides on here on how to do it. It's really easy to do. That controller you linked is a RAID controller. If you're planing on using software RAID (snapraid) I would avoid those types of controllers.

Not Needed on m1015 as long as you do NOT use on open solaris variances...

when you leave it as unconfigured: all drives IS JBOD.

this is a misunderstanding when needing flashing to 9211 IT due on unreliable/unsupported (from LSI) after 9211... Yes 9240 is no stable in open solaris variances...

Will I need to flash it? Or will it work as is? What about a ASR-5805Z? They're pretty cheap too.

what OS are you using?

on Linux, try to flash newest M1015 or lsi 9240.

I know 9240 supports 6TB drive, but do not know 9211 :p.. could be yes or no.

on mine, I flashed to lsi 9240 due on newer update and "Real reason"> I can not make work IBM M1015 linux flasher :p, since flashing under windows is not an option.

stay-away adaptec-5XXXX, you have to configure single disk as a virtual disk which NOT JBOD.

my rule of thumb... M1015(lsi 9240)/Dell H200(lsi 9211 IR)/ Dell H310(lsi 9240) ~ $60-$70...
that range is my buying limit for those cards.
sometimes you can get $50... but very quick got sold :D..

I flash H200(9211 IR) to dell IT firmware (6Gb firmware). you can search on net,
as I understand, 9211IR JBOD is slower than 9211 IT, I believe an additional layer get added.
9240 is a different situation, when unconfigured all drives are JBOD without additional layer.

good luck!

Back