cheap ramsinks

L

lkyoldsun

HELP! my HDD crashed and my links are GONE!
Who remembers the thread with the real cheap ramsinks/mofset sinks (like $.25 apiece!) but a $25 minimum for free shipping! I need to make a purchase of a few things, and they had all kinds of adapters and cables too.
The [H] search function won't work! :pissed off!!!:
please throw a link this way if you can! to the site or the thread!

this is ingenious seriously would this work for 9600s? I have a old GF2 I want to try this on now has anyone else attempted this?

Originally posted by Glow
this is ingenious seriously would this work for 9600s? I have a old GF2 I want to try this on now has anyone else attempted this?

UM... yeah... this guy... but as long as the penny doesn't fall of I bet you will be fine.

Haha, you actually bookmarked the thread I made? Nice to know I'm helping someone!

Originally posted by Eric1285
Haha, you actually bookmarked the thread I made? Nice to know I'm helping someone!

Hun, it doesn't look like you started the thread. Did you use a different name or something? I actually didn't bookmark the thread, just the link. I just went back a few days and found it again. I love that site though. Its so funny. I might have to try that mod about overvolting my fans. That could actually work lol. 17v fans.

Yeah, I did start a thread with links to two stores that sold heatsinks.

Originally posted by Syphon
Hun, it doesn't look like you started the thread. Did you use a different name or something? I actually didn't bookmark the thread, just the link. I just went back a few days and found it again. I love that site though. Its so funny. I might have to try that mod about overvolting my fans. That could actually work lol. 17v fans.
The link is here. http://www.afrotechmods.com/fanmod.htm

And the [H] gets props for the first mention of the 17v mod. :cool:

OMG thats awesome. I would never have thought to use my pennies as heatsinks. Maybe I can get the dremel out and put little indentations in them to increased the surface area or drill holes in some of them to improve airflow between "fins".

I wonder how the zinc core of the penny will affect heat dissipation throughout the heatsink. Ideally, I'd have pennies from well before 1985 but my desk is cluttered with much more recent revisions.

b0b

EDIT: I wonder how aluminum foil would compare to this if properly shaped...

I was also wondering about aluminum foil.

It's really flexible, so it should be easy to mod into different shapes.

I think it would work well.

actually foil boils at low temps when in direct contact with extreme heat. reason why it doesnt in oven is because thats with air.

not sure, i dont think anyone has put a thermometer on a hs while oc'd

that is crazy, does anyone know if this works? I read the tutorial and did it say GLUE your pennies 2 your ram? Because if your computer is rightside up, and thats 5huge pennies? And about putting alumnium inbetween it, why would you need 2 do that? The heat will then travel 2 the alumnium then 2 the pennies, mind as well let it travel straight 2 the pennies.

And about melting alumnium 2 make heat sinks, good idea :D, but i also wanna try if i can melt pennies, anyone know how 2 melt some pennies? i was thinking... about lighting a fire (with woods and crap) and melt some penies, can a regular fire melt pennies? all i gotta do is put a handfull in a ceramic bowl and heat it and pur the melted pennies in a ceramic mold. good idea ? i think ill do it with my friends reply and see if it works.

Take a look at this site if you're interested in anything regarding the penny mod. You need to find certain years (a safe bet is anything prior to 1982) in order to get pennies that are primarily made of copper. From 1982 on, pennies have been 99.2% zinc, 0.8% copper, meaning that it's made of zinc and then copper coated.

I've actually been somewhat thinking of collecting a lot of older pennies and making a mold to melt them into, and sort of cast my own heatsinks.

Back