Cheap, quietish mechanical keyboard?

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
G'day all,

I'm looking for something along the line of a cherry brown type keyboard, full size with numpad, and looking for something reasonably cheap. Back home I used a silent Das Keyboard, now I'm stuck using a laptop for the next year or so and laptop keyboards make me want to eat live kittens. I'm new to the US so I'm not really sure where to go to look for cheap stuff.

At the moment the cheapest option I can see is this Coolermaster from Newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129003

Anyone have any other suggestions? I actually prefer the feel of Cherry Blues, so was tempted to just get a Razer Blackwidow since they're cheaper, but if I'm working late in to the night I don't want to keep my housemates awake with my clickity clack, so the browns give a similar feel but not quite so noisy.

How much do you want to spend? I'm actually probably going to be selling that exact same board here in the near future once I get a new board in.

As little as possible :D I'm only going to use it for a year, I was tempted to just buy a cheapo membrane keyboard, as typing on laptops is so uncomfortable that I feel it's slowing down my work, but figured even the cheapest mechanical keyboard would make me much happier. If it weren't for the noise, I'd get a Blackwidow instead, as they're about $20 cheaper than the coolermaster.. I won't be using it for gaming (at least I don't predict I will) mostly typing reports, emails, coding, that sort of stuff.

Basically starting from lowest cost...

Keytronics Designer Lifetime Series 29 dollars newegg if you have shoprunner. It is not a mechanical keyboard, but the design is similar to a topre realforce. In fact I would not be surprised if this is the keyboard which gave them the idea for such a design. They do require a small break-in period. PS/2 only. Not best for gaming as the f keys are a little far for most.

The mentioned CM keyboard or Rosewill 9000 with brown cherry switches. Both seem to offer exceptional value. IF you can get a lightly used one from morph that might be a great idea.

Yeah, I'm not against a 2nd hand keyboard if it's been taken care of, it's just I don't actually have any means to pay someone electronically for it, no paypal account, only cash, debit and credit cards, so that might make it a bit impractical to do that. I need to get around to getting a paypal account, I just so rarely have need of one I usually get by borrowing someone elses' the once in a blue moon I actually need one :D

Yeah, I'm not against a 2nd hand keyboard if it's been taken care of, it's just I don't actually have any means to pay someone electronically for it, no paypal account, only cash, debit and credit cards, so that might make it a bit impractical to do that. I need to get around to getting a paypal account, I just so rarely have need of one I usually get by borrowing someone elses' the once in a blue moon I actually need one :D

I'd actually come pretty close to referring to mine as new. It was used for a few hours at a display booth for CM and I have only used it for maybe 8 hours so ~10 hours total. I have to get rid of it though since my mobo doesn't want to be nice and get along with it. I love the board, but there is not much I can do about it. I'll shoot you a PM if this deal goes through for my new kb if you are still in the market.

Ok, let me know. I would like to order a keyboard before the weekend is out (or maybe just monday morning since it probably won't make much difference now), so if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them :D

I'm actually on the edge of just buying another Das, but that's the $130 price range which is a lot for a keyboard I'm only going to use for a year :)

I just noticed Razer has a stealth edition of the Blackwidow. Unfortunately it seems you can only buy it through Razer's own store which has rather expensive shipping ($80 keyboard + $15 shipping, they say that's only an estimate on shipping but even after typing in my address they still say it's an estimate so who knows...).

So that's another option I didn't know existed!

The CMStorm Quickfire Rapid and Rosewill RK9000 often go for $55~65 during sales if you want to watch and wait a little.

Back