Cheap Place to Buy Hobby Electronics Components?

vbrtrmn

2[H]4U
This will probably get locked...

I'm looking for an inexpensive place to buy some hobbist electronics components, like breadboards, LEDs, switches, etc.

Radio Smack is pretty expensive, anyone know of anything better/cheaper?

edit, now accpeting the *smack down*

Why is this the wrong place? Electronic hobbyists need components. Don't they?

I get all my stuff mail-order. Digikey, Mouser, and MCM are favorites. I don't like Jameco much -- they're too expensive, but they sometimes have nice assortments.

Your only other hope is to find a non-chain store that's got some selection. You'll need advice from a local for that.

.B ekiM

Well you should go to www.herbach.com . They are pretty inexpensive and incase the URL is wrong search for Herbach-Rademan. But the link should be right. :)

this is actually in the Case Mod FAQ under "E" :)

One of the best places I know of is Futurelec, not a massive range, but most popular bits, low prices and only $3 delivery anywhere in the world.

www.partsexpress.com

You just need to find a nice local shop. There are more out there than you think, and once you find one you can usually find damn good deals and not have to pay for shipping on any of it :)

I really like Mouser. They give you bulk discounts, ship as quickly as the next guy, and they're resonably priced. The one gripe I have with them, along with Digi-Key and Newark, is the shipping. No matter what you get it's going to cost you $7.50 and up. I ordered about $130 worth of stuff from Mouser though, good vendor, nice website.

olmost forgot. www.eem.com
LARGEST catalog i have ever seen, i got some in the mail, its over 5000 pages and comes in 4 "books" the size of dictionaries.
it lists an enormous amount of manufacturers. not a direct seller but is great for finding what you need.
[edit] just found another catalog: http://www.alliedelec.com/
its over 1200 pages and IS a direct supplier. very good and large product database.

Sysjack said:
I really like Mouser. They give you bulk discounts, ship as quickly as the next guy, and they're resonably priced. The one gripe I have with them, along with Digi-Key and Newark, is the shipping. No matter what you get it's going to cost you $7.50 and up. I ordered about $130 worth of stuff from Mouser though, good vendor, nice website.
shipping is one of my favorite things about Mouser. In your order under "special instructions" or whatever it's called - say you want USPS First Class shipping. Normally with a small order shipping will be under $2. You just can't beat that. Mouser is by far the best company that I know of when ordering small quantities of stuff. Cheap prices, cheap shipping, excellent selection, no minimum order, etc.

top sites for best components, well trusted, etc.. actual vender sites

digikey.com (has a min. order of like 25$)
mouser.com
newark.com

other good sites that i personally use:
jameco.com
allelectronics.com (can usually find good deals on here, they buy out and part out misc. electronics and sell them)
lsdiodes.com (for LEDs)
hobbytron.net (more for kits then anything)

... there's alot that could be on this list, but i've personally used all of the above and highly recommend all of the above.

eyedol said:
Oh I forgot this one.

meci.com

Ahh good ol Mendelson's. If anyone lives near ohio it is definatly a place to do a pilgrimage to!

The surplus electronics FLOOR is so huge you nearly need binoculars to see the opposite wall. It makes you feel like an ant. They have about 5 shelving units piled with fans of verious type. The prices can get a bit wierd though because most items' prices are made up on the spot by the expertise of two old guys. Many things you can pick up for jaw dropping cheap, while others can get close to retail new prices for surplus used stuff. Im sure haggling may not be out of the question though.

There is also a large room with troughs of nuts, bolts, and other "Hardware" on the first floor I believe.

I have a quick question, who sells the connections for the connector on the motherboard. I mean the mb power connector, I got a mb from a friend and some of this connector was burned, but the mb works fine.

lsdiodes.com- best place for LED's ever!, great prices/shipping cost etc. and customer support is THE BEST!! sorry, im so happy about my first purchase withtehm i need to spam for them :p

mpja.com is where I tend to frequent. They have a minimum order amount though of $20 I think.

Well guys I have gotten in possession of a large catalog of electronics components. A friend gave away to me this catalog, and one look through it, I was impressed.

The company is the #1 company in distribution of parts to computer manufacturers or audio places. Lets just put it this way, in this catalog you can create alot of items, such as:
Motherboards, powersupplies, amplifiers and so on. It has parts for making small pc speakers, it has an A-Z or parts listing in it. It has every pc component you need to replace on your mb, or the molex drive connectors and a whole lot more.

Here is the website:

digikey.com

Bump for a sweet thread. gave me exactly what I was looking for. It really needs to be turned into a sticky.

Doc

DevilDoc said:
Bump for a sweet thread. gave me exactly what I was looking for. It really needs to be turned into a sticky.

Doc
Agreed needs to be stuck

Ok, since I have this big catalog of electronics, I have this question.

I am making my own front panel and needed to know what switches and leds to use. Is there a certain voltage I need to consider, what wires do I need for the switches. I mean the wires that lead from the switch to the mb.

I have decided that I am not putting down alot of money for a front panel board that was designed for the quad server mb I am using.

So I am asking for answers in knowing what I might need.

Scorpionjwp said:
So I am asking for answers in knowing what I might need.

Wouldn't it be best if you started your own thread for your question?

.B ekiM

there once was a time, not too long ago...when i bought 100 3mm blue leds (cant remember mcd) for 14 bucks on ebay, from this company in hong kong.

these bastards are bright enough to blind ya looking into it....i put 3 into my keyboard.. and it lights up the 14 foot(maybe higher, but i'm not going to measure it) ceiling.

god bless ebay

Back