Cheap passive GPU heatsinks?

t-readyroc

Gawd
I posted this in the OC'ing/Cooling forum w/no replies, so I figured I'd try over here as well:

We build all of our machines w/budget cards. For any AGP builds, we use FX5200s; PCIe builds get 7300s. All of the new cards we buy are passively cooled, because we've had to go back & replace the HSFs on the GPUs too many times.

What I'm looking for is a source for cheap GPU passive heatsinks like the kind that come bundled with a passively cooled video card, like the one on this ASUS 7300LE. I'd like to buy a lot of 10, so bulk orders would be bonus. I've seen the after-market offerings from Thermalright & Zalman, but even though they're only $30, the price of the cards don't justify them.

Hmmm...

Normaly when I am doing a project such as this, I usualy go with the VANTEC CCB-A1C Ball VGA Cooler Kit. Even though it is active cooling via fan, I've never had one die or fail on me in over 3+ years now.

If you have to have a fanless option as well as an oportunity to purchase at volume savings, then the EVERCOOL VC-RHB 50mm One Ball Bearing VGA Cooling Fan/Heatsink for ATi and NVIDIA Kit might be for you. This kit can easily go passively cooled for use with lower end cards such as the ones you say you will be dealing with. An order of 10, including shipping will run roughly $190 USD, so not too bad!

I also have many heatsinks that were removed from brand new NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200 and 5500 series video cards. I would be willing to sell them to you at a good price if you are interested!?! Most of them have come from ASUS and Albatron branded models. If you are interested, shoot me a PM and I can get you a few pics posted.

You take state, tax-free P.O.'s? ;)

Seriously though, thanks for the reply. Yours is the first on the subject. I like those Vantec coolers myself, but the boss wants to go fanless, if anything.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835119061

These are evercool RHS-F117 VGA heatsinks. They come 8 to a package. All copper. 11.99
Although these are used primarily for RAM chips (21mm x 21mm x 6mm = less than an inch square), many users are applying 4 to their GPUs. Which means, one kit will cover two GPUs. Newegg also offers quantity discounts on this item. Need to use a Govt PO? Sorry, newegg only takes CC... might want to try CDWG.

Here's a link to Aerocase's Condor vga cooler... it's massive with heatpipes! just for shits and giggles... (it costs more than the Zalman VF900!!!!)
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article650-page1.html

Another alternative would be to buy a bunch of older (socket a, 370, etc...) CPU heatsinks and some Arctic Silver Adhesive to mount them.

A good source for "older" computer parts... http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx
They have plenty of older CPU heatsinks available for under $4 each

Good Luck

yeah thats your best bet, cheap CPU coolers. I stick a heatsink from a old AMD thunderbird on my sisters videocard.

Mr. Radyroc,

Do you remember my 9600pro modding page? 1u all cooper cpu heatsink applied to the gpu. Just have to drill holes into th heatsink that lined up with the videocard.

If you're not into that you can find plenty of cheap passive cooling heatsinks. Zalman's cooper bladed ones work well, hell find a great heatsink and take off the fan.

Any cheap low power GFX card can run pretty much passively. Especially if theres adaquate case air circulation.

1u-hsf.jpg

I hope the people he's building these machines for don't mind having 3 slots taken up with the videocard cooler then :D.

Best bet is to scrounge around for old heatsinks. I'm sure you could make a post in the FS forum and plea for all people to send in their unused stock coolers :).

Back