Cheap options

hipsterdoofus

Limp Gawd
Hey all - I'm currently replacing my desktop/gaming rig and had the idea to take the current stuff and make it into a HTPC for my parents. It isn't a speed demon by any means, but I think it would work for them. I will have to buy a few parts, so I thought I would ask you all for input.

The current config is is listed in my sig:
[Desktop] - [Ugly Generic Case | ASUS P5N-E SLI| Intel E6600 | OCZ Gold 2 GB 6400 | Vista]

Except that I'm keeping the HDD for my desktop. So I will need to buy (or come across):
A hard drive (I MAY have one somewhere, so that may be okay)
A tuner (I use HD Homeruns, but I would just as soon give them a cheap in system dual tuner)
Either another OS or perhaps free DVR software. I've been spoiled since my HTPC is on Win7 home premium. Unfortunately I have vista business on my desktop (it was free) so I don't have media center. It looks like i'd have to spend another $80 or so on Win 7, so I would be open to installing something else that would work well for them.

I'll also have to get a remote at some point and also probably will put a wireless card in it so they can get channel guide downloads. Since the whole system is being donated, I'd prefer not to outlay more than I have to on it - so cheap is the goal right now! Thanks for your suggestions.

Have you thought about MythTV? Open source linux platform that is meant to be exactly what you're describing.

I don't know your take on linux, but Ubuntu has a version called Mythbuntu, which comes with the package already installed. It is more of a hassle to initially setup all of the hardware more than anything. It has gotten better, but it is very fussy about which tv tuners it accepts. Hauppage is a very good tuner that seems to be the ticket for this OS.

It is very user friendly and is not any harder to use than a normal pc, once learned properly. It will do all of your media streaming, as well act as a pvr. There is a lot more information here.

Hope that helps you decided.

Thanks, that may be a good option. I use linux pretty frequently as a server OS, so I would imagine I could get Myth configured. I reckon I could always mess around with it and see if i think it will work for me.

I'm going to bring this back to life and hope you all can help me out pretty quick. Trying to get in on some cyber Monday deals. As mentioned at the top, I plan on using my old PC for an HTPC for my parents. It has no HDD, so I am looking at a caviar green for 64.99. Also, Newegg has HDhomerun duals for $59.99. I have 2 HD homeruns myself, so I like that idea. My parents do not have wiring in their house, but it looks like it will work just fine connected directly to the ethernet on the computer (no crossover needed). I also need to pick them up a dvd player, I imagine.

Here is where the doubtful part comes in: Currently their TV is an old 27" standard def. I hope to help them get a new tv at some point, but I want to make sure this is going to work okay. I'm pretty sure this is a similar setup to what I had with my old tv, but its been awhile, so I can't recall. I guess I just need a little support in knowing that this will work out for them.

My finally issue is what to run on it. I am shying away from myth because it looks like it is not easy at all to run netflix on it, and they may need netflix. Sounds like I may need to try to find Win7 or *gulp* win8. I appreciate any comments - Thanks!

Back