Cheap nForce2 board for 1700+ JIUHB OCing?

SEALTeamSix

2[H]4U
Hey guys, I need some advice on something. I've got 2 new 1700+ JIUHB DLT3C's, and I'm looking to build some systems with them. Problem is, I'm pretty strapped for cash, so I can't really afford to drop them in an NF7-S or A7N8X-D like I would like. My question is this - can someone recommend a good, cheap nForce2-based board that will let me OC these chips to close to their potential? I don't need all the bells and whistles of SATA, Firewire, RAID, and all that. What I am looking for is this:

1)overclocking potential
2)a U100 or U133 IDE connection
3)a 4x or 8x AGP slot
4)at least 2 PCI slots (although the more the merrier ;) )
5)dual-channel support for 2x256mb sticks of DDR-333 or DDR-400
6)4 USB (2.0 preferred) ports

That's about it. I've read tons of reviews and all that jazz, but I want your input. Thanks for any advice you can give!

-SEAL

Try a Shuttle board, MSI, or even the Asus A7N8X-X. I'll try to post some newegg links for you but right now I don't have much time. But it would be best if you save some cash to get something like an NF7-S, the average price seems to be around $99.

Has anyone heard anything about the FIC boards (AU11, etc)? They are the cheapest nForce2 I see new at Pricewatch, but can they perform?

-SEAL

Shuttle's AN35N ++

Meets your requirements, excellent oc'er for the price.

/thread

msi k7n2 delta -L
xp1700 @ 11x200
2x256 ddr400 in dual channel (samsung)
radeon 9500 pro bios'd to 9700

above setup is very stable , very impressed with msi board.

Originally posted by ciggy50
msi k7n2 delta -L
xp1700 @ 11x200
2x256 ddr400 in dual channel (samsung)
radeon 9500 pro bios'd to 9700

above setup is very stable , very impressed with msi board.

The board layout is pathetic on that board, not to mention that its $13 more expensive than the shuttle, AND uses active cooling w/ a puny heatsink on the northbridge (as you may have noticed, i'm not as much of an MSI fan for budget boards).

Originally posted by Schro
Shuttle's AN35N ++

Meets your requirements, excellent oc'er for the price.

/thread

^

Put a fan on the northbridge and this board will take you places.

So far it seems like the AN35N Ultra is the way for me to go, based on what people are saying. Has anyone had any negative experiences with this board? Anyone else have any positive experiences? Still accepting any and all advice - also, thanks to everyone who's posted so far!

-SEAL

A regular NF7 isn't too expensive and is just as good as the NF7-S minus the SATA, if not, then the Shuttle is a nice board as well, drop a crystal orb on the NB, and you're set ! :)

$55.00 - AN35N Ultra - NewEgg, MWave or AJump

I run 220FSB X 10 w\1700+ DUT3C

Its a bit fussy about Ram, I use Buffalo\Winbond PC3200, if you've got more $ go Mushkin.

If you're a gamer use a sound card as onboard Realtek has high CPU utilization ~15% using EAX, this is the Realtek chips problem not the Shuttle board.

Regards, Szandor

try the DFI Infinity newegg link

cheap and lots of goodies:

Supported CPU: AMD Athlon XP/Athlon/Duron Processors
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 + MCP-T
FSB: 266/333/400MHz
RAM: 3x DIMM support Dual Channel DDR400/333/266/200 Max 3GB
IDE: 2x UltraDMA 66/100/133 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X, 5x PCI
Ports: 2xPS2,1xCOM,1xLPT,6xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xLAN,SPDIF In/Out,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC650 6-Channel Codec
Onboard LAN: ICS1893 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet