Cheap Nforce 3 MOBO socket 754

carblow12

Limp Gawd
I am looking for a good cheap motherboard with a nforce3 chipset, i saw the chaintech vnf3, but im not sure if its any good. If any one has any suggestions to a cheap mobo, help me out. I am getting a 6800gt, AMD 64 3200+ and 2 (512) corsair memory. Thank you.

I just put in my vnf3-250 minutes ago - it looks to be just as good the more expensive boards, after reading a few good reviews I picked it up.

$77 w/free 2nd day shipping from zipzoomfly.com, can't beat that!

No-one's suggested the Aopen AK89 Max? It's a great overclocking board, check out Anandtech's review of it... It may be an Nforce 3 150 chipset board, but the original poster only stated Nforce 3, not which type...

that Anandtech review says they overclocked it to 275MHz. Is that average or do you guys think that board was exceptional?

Hi everyone,
I recently also purchased this board and a Sempron 3100, and it shipped with the 09/07/2004 Version 3 BIOS flash. I am running it with 2-512MB PC3200 DRAM modules, an Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra, on Windows XP.

I have noticed two things:
1- I can bump up the FSB to 250 with no problem, 100% stable. Once I go to 251, XP will blue screen once it reaches the login screen. Back it down, and its stable again. I'm thinking this is because of my memory speed/OC limitation. In the BIOS I tried to set the Memory Max speed to 100, 133, and 166 all met with the same result. Also, my HT transport multiplier is currently set to 3

2- If I back the FSB back down to 200, and try to adjust the "Hammer FID control" to something other than Auto, on reboot I get a nice black screen and have to clear my CMOS to get it to boot back up.

neither Heat nor power seem to be a problem as the CPU temp is a constant 41C and the voltage is 1.5 to the core.

By Adjusting the FSB to 250 I am able to reach 2.25 Ghz, but I'd like to see it a little closer to the 2.5 others are able to get out of this chip. I am wondering how others are approaching OC'ing this Board/CPU, am I missing something?

I just did that

Asus K8N - $~83
64 2800+ - $141
512mb XMS - $116 (now 106 I think)

runs like a champ!
got it OC'd EASILY to 2.25.. still have yet to play with it more.. memory timings, etc. But its VERY stable and VERY fast ;)

Ezekial, have you tried adjusting the Hammer FID control yet, or are you just using the FBS speed to OC?

Anyone else out there able to get higher than 2.25 with the 3.0 BIOS rev?

Back