Cheap Micro-SDHC Cards

madFive

metal[H]ead
So I really want to get an extra-large micro-SD card for tons of music and video space on my Note3. I did a search for best price on 128gb cards, and surprisingly came up with quite a few in the $30-50 range, which is quite a bit less than the $120 on amazon for the real Sandisk one.

So... what are the odds that something like this will actually work reliably and not be a total ripoff? Is it worth trying or pretty-much guaranteed to be a lemon?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191178418992
$34.99 for a class-10 micro-sdhc card. Has no brand-name on it at all, just says "memory card."

Tempted to just give it a shot, but I'm guessing this is too good to be true. Thoughts?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Unbranded no name SD cards are for people with "sucker" written on their forehead.

Seriously, only buy flash memory from known trustworthy sellers of brand name flash memory. Else you'll end up with a card that works twice and has 1/10th the rated memory.

Stay away from those, I've heard stories of people getting 512mb cards instead of the advertised amount.

They got a solid 2.6/5 average out of 271 reviews on Amazon. Seems legit! :p

I would only buy from Sandisk, PNY, Samsung, Kingston, etc. I've had a couple Sandisk cards die or malfunction on me for my phones, so I think I'll go with someone else next time. My 64GB card decided to corrupt itself in its transfer from my Note 2 to my One M8 somehow, but fortunately, I was able to recover most of it after quick format and with some data recovery software.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the info - that's about what I expected, but for $35 I was about ready to roll the dice anyways.

I think the vast majority of SD cards I've used are sandisk, and I've never actually had one go bad on me. Guess I've just been lucky so far. Yeah, I guess I'll be sticking with known reliable brands.

There are enough good deals that come out for the "brand" name cards to satisfy the need for a good deal. Agree with the other posters about buying a brand name vs. and unknown. Usually, its not a whole lot of difference in cost, especially if you look for a brand name on sale.

The best micro sd cards are currently SanDisk and Samsung. By best, I mean performance and reliability. For price/performance, I believe that Transcend is on the top.

the only valid 128GB microSDXC card is that sandisk card at $120....

don't buy memory cards on ebay, only from reputable places (like best buy, amazon, NOT via marketplace either) - too many fakes

64GB microSDXC is pretty widely available by different manufacturers, maybe around $25-$50

Back