• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

cheap JBOD chassis for ZFS:

brutalizer

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 23, 2010
Messages
1,603
Anyone tried this Sans Digital chassi?
http://www.sansdigital.com/towerraid-/tr8xplus.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Image...ure w/ Mini-SAS (SFF-8088) x 1 TR8X+ (Silver)

Basically, it is a Tower case with only room for 8 disks, connected with two SAS SFF-8088 mini sas cables. So, I could connect this to a mini itx PC whenever I need access to a zfs raid. Inside the mini ITX pc I should have a LSI2008 card with two external mini-SAS cables.
http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/storagecomponents/Pages/LSISAS9205-8e.aspx

And if I want to get fancy, I buy two of these 8-bay chassis and connect them both to a 16 port LSI 2008 card, with 4 external mini-SAS cables?
http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/storagecomponents/Pages/LSISAS9201-16e.aspx

This should work, yes?
 
My boss at work had the old model that used two esata ports on it and I assuming it had some port multipliers to support the 8 drives. We used it with FreeNAS v8 as solaris wouldn't work with the SATA port multipliers.

In my opinion considering the price you can just get a NORCO chassis and call it a day. They have 12, 16 .20 and 24 bay cases available all for less than one of those sans digital boxes.
 
Ok, so Norcos are cheaper? But that Sans Digital case costs 300 USD. I doubt you find norcos cheaper than that?

Another question, it doesnt say it supports 6G disks, but if I plugin 6G disks and use a 6G LSI card, then I get 6G speeds? The case itself does not need to support 6G?
 
What if I had a chance to buy one of these used, for much less than $400? Would it be worth it then? It's the eSATA version though (SI 3132).
 
Last edited:
Back
Top