Cheap iTunes aggregator NAS?

matt9669

Limp Gawd
Thought this was the most appropriate forum for this, mods can of course say otherwise.

Got my dad setup with a home theater system, including a Sonos for playing his iTunes, radio etc. Only issue is he just hates (for whatever reason) leaving his laptop on and within wifi range, or the wifi shuts off - apparently the ASUS software turns the wifi off all the time, haven't had a chance to mess with it.

Regardless, I'd like to set up a simple NAS that stores his full iTunes library and pulls updates periodically, such that if his computer is off or out of range he'll still be able to play his iTunes via Sonos. He has Verizon FIOS and I believe the router has a USB port for a hard drive, but I doubt it is capable of updating the library ... maybe setup his PC to sync to it? (Is SyncToy still around?) Needs to be reliable though.

Was thinking of a single-drive NAS that aggregates iTunes, would like to keep it around $150 or below if possible. I've got extra hard drives lying around that would have plenty of capacity (250GB, 300GB etc.) so an empty one would actually be a plus cost-wise. Thanks in advance for any help.

Back