Cheap items gone missing in transit

Ur_Mom

Fully [H]
I have a question. For me, the answer was to just write it off and give a refund.

I sold something for $20, free shipping. I shipped it out via USPS First Class (cheap for a cheap item). The buyer never received it. So, I gave a refund. But, for $20, it wasn't insured. It's not a big deal, but is that normal (just write it off?)? It's hard to tell if it was received and claimed not to, or if it genuinely got lost in the mail (not too common, but it's happened to me before).

How do you ship cheap, low cost items? Insured? Trackable?

for low cost item, when i mail first class i add delivery confirmation. that way u can get updated info, sometimes when the system is delayed, as to expected delivery and delivery date and time.

Use Paypal Ship Now. You can do anything the USPS can with that tool -- from Parcel Post to Priority and beyond! ...okay, that was really corny but you get the point. USPS will throw in Delivery Confirmation (real tracking by any other name) for free, and if you ship any number of packages greater than 0, and ONE of those packages is Priority or Express Mail (or a few other methods that generally fall into the "weird shit" category) they will let you Schedule A Pickup for free (use that URL -- Paypal gives you one but it's way outdated and doesn't work right). That means that your friendly neighborhood mail carrier will grab the package on the way by with the mail. They're really flexible in the "package location" dept. here, as well.

Great stuff all round. That's how I ship stuff.

when dealing with low dollar items, for me, it depends on who is receiving it ..if its going to a trader with good refs, I may forgo the tracking info and take my chances....if its going to a new or questionable trader, I always get tracking.

While the PO does lose items now and again.....its very rare......I personally have never had a package lost in transit

Ok. Cool. Delivery conf. looks good. I'll use that from now on. Thanks, guys!

You can probably call USPS and if you get someone nice enough they can give you info about the package. Just give them the receiver address and your address and tell them that the buyer said the package was lost and you wanted to make sure that he didn't receive it by any chance or if he's trying to scam you. You may get lucky with someone very nice and get that info :)

Use Paypal Ship Now. You can do anything the USPS can with that tool -- from Parcel Post to Priority and beyond! ...okay, that was really corny but you get the point. USPS will throw in Delivery Confirmation (real tracking by any other name) for free, and if you ship any number of packages greater than 0, and ONE of those packages is Priority or Express Mail (or a few other methods that generally fall into the "weird shit" category) they will let you Schedule A Pickup for free (use that URL -- Paypal gives you one but it's way outdated and doesn't work right). That means that your friendly neighborhood mail carrier will grab the package on the way by with the mail. They're really flexible in the "package location" dept. here, as well.

Great stuff all round. That's how I ship stuff.

this or use usps.com and DC is free.

Regional Rate Box A is sometimes cheaper than small flat rate box, depending on where you're shipping, and much larger. It's about the same size as a medium flat rate box, and is usually a lot cheaper.

yes for $1 you could have make sure that you don't loose that $20, always get lable at USPS.com, it's about 20cents cheaper/$5 + Dc is free.

Yea. I don't think I was scammed, but that USPS lost the thing... Would be nice to know for sure, though.

From now on, USPS.com it is. I'll pay a little more, but at least it's confirmed for sure.

Paypal Ship Now can do First Class, with D/C thrown in free. USPS ClickNShip can't.

;)

I've noticed that some items just 'show up' around the end of the month. I think the storerooms are cleaned out then, and any packages that may have been lost in there show up again.

My girlfriend's Kindle got lost in the mail (DC# said delivered, but it wasn't) and it showed up at the end of the month. A package I sent internationally was sitting in Chicago for 3 weeks according to my DC#, but it didn't move again until the end of the month.

I've noticed that some items just 'show up' around the end of the month. I think the storerooms are cleaned out then, and any packages that may have been lost in there show up again.

My girlfriend's Kindle got lost in the mail (DC# said delivered, but it wasn't) and it showed up at the end of the month. A package I sent internationally was sitting in Chicago for 3 weeks according to my DC#, but it didn't move again until the end of the month.

This reminds me of an XBOX i shipped ages ago... I sold it on ebay, checked out via paypal - when they first partnered with USPS - and shipped the xbox to Canada. After several weeks, buyer never received it, and filed a claim with paypal. Luckily, I insured the packaged, paypal refunded the buyers cash and I received my insurance money months later.

Literally 2 years later, I have this package waiting at my door; my xbox. A note was attached stating that it "did not clear customs" - really WTF?. Box was beat to shit, taped, re-taped, and even more tape everywhere. I think by that time Xbox 360 had been released and I no longer had any use for it... I seriously believe customs held on to it, played the shit out of it, and then when they intercepted a 360 they figured they'd be nice and send it back :)

I put no trust in USPS for high priced items. If I do because the buyer insist, I insure, DC, and signature on everything. Hopefully the guy you sold the item to is a standup dude and if he in facts receives it days, weeks, months, later down the line he'll send the money right back to you..

Back