Cheap htpc case (Xmachine) anyone tried it?

slayer8

Gawd
I skimmed over the past 4 or 5 pages and didn't notice anything, though I'm sure someones posted about it (forgive me)

I need a cheap case for htpc duty...anyone have/used this one? ...

thx;)

Ask SarverSystems about it. He's modded one extensively to use as a LAN server (as I recall). Damn dirty lack of search . . .

Make sure you can fit full size cards in it. I don't know if you could find a decent TV tuner card that's half-height to fit in it otherwise.

Did I hear my name???

Why yes, yes I sure did! I can smell these posts a mile away I tell ya!

Ask, and ya shall receive:

(all pics)http://www.scogp.com/images/mods/SarverSystems/newserver/

the best of the bunch:

008.JPG

004.JPG

21.JPG

Ravenrex is incorrect in his assumption that you need half-height cards. This case supports only mATX motherboards, and will only accept the PSU that comes with it, but you can use full height cards. There is one exception. The card cannot exceed past the height of the metal bracket it is atached to.

Refer to this image for card heights. You'll see that those are full-height slots.

NewServer18.JPG

Also, don't plan to run a high-end CPU in there unless you want to fry X-shaped eggs on the top.

Whoah, I never said it COULDN'T take full size cards, I just said to make sure that that was not an issue. Many micro-ATX cases are half-height since they figure most users are going to go with some sort of integrated NIC-video-sound onboard option so it makes finding expansion cards that fit difficult sometimes. I was just saying it's best to check first.

I'll take my egg sunny-side-up when you get around to it Sarver.
;)

True true. My mistake.

You are correct though about most mATX cases onl accepting 1/2-height cards.

In fact, about 90% of the desktop mATX cases are 1/2-height.

Holy heck! That's a nice case...Smart choice for a low-profile server or something. How good is the airflow in there without modification?

Just trying to save him the frustration/disappointment of getting all the parts and then finding out that the damn video card wouldn't fit. That case would be sweet with an 9600AIW in it.

We use a micro-ATX case at my shop for a few select customers and I always hate it when they need a modem in it and we're all out of the half-height ones. That's when the nibbler comes out and a standard card gets 'trimmed to size'.

Damn that looks useful, is there room for a cd player? I didn't think I saw one. :? Not to mention affordable... Is yours lit up just with a blacklight? I think inserting some LED's inside the top could light it up some that would be kinda kool.

Cool, thanks for the info Sarver...looks like i'll be picking one up, can't really beat the price;)

The green X was pulled off the cover, and I drilled rows of holes to put LEDs in, but I ran into 2 problems. #1is that there is NO clearance for the LEDs. So you can't put the lid back on once the LEDs are in. #2 is that the LEDs produced too much of a spotlight effect. I wanted a very even light to be produced.

If you look very closely, you can see that I used green EL tape lined around the border of the X facing the center.

There is room for a CD drive, floppy drive, and a hard drive. The door on the front drops down to reveal the CD and floppy.

Originally posted by SarverSystems
The card cannot exceed past the height of the metal bracket it is atached to.

Hmmm...not even a tiny bit? like 1/8" or so?

Back