Cheap Ethernet --> stereo streaming audio player

vv111y

n00b
Hi,

Just audio for the stereo, if video streaming comes with it that's great. Using my own media library mostly. I expect DLNA, but if there is another option I'm all ears.
Ethernet is wired.

Just want something cheap and easy.
My cousin is using bluetooth adapter attached to stereo and he streams via that. Didn't cost much.

Can only find gadgets meant for online services (hulu, etc), DLNA player (pricey), or a full mini-computer (pricey).

Thanks

What are you connecting it tom e.g., receiver/amp, desktop computer speakers, etc.? And by what means, e.g., analog, S/PDIF, HDMI, etc.? What's the budget? What's the environment? Acceptable control mechanisms? Sound quality expectations?

The RPi may still be viable. Even the stock audio may not be any worse than what Bluetooth compression creates. There's also options for third-party USB and GPIO DACs such as those listed on the Pi MusicBox page.

Maybe also look at the Roku-style media players?

- It's an older Technics with analog RCA jacks and KEF speakers. Not the highest end but pretty up there.
- I would guess CD quality. My hunch if some people are complaining about the pi then chances are we will hear it
- Living room
- wanted to keep budget low because it doesn't seem right to spend $$ on something that should be basic. It's only doing 2 things, dlna protocol and converting to analog.
- didn't know about bluetooth compression. I'm going to talk to my cousin, he* really cares* about quality. That would be funny

I'm checking into Your suggestions, thanks

PS looking good

Cheap Chromecast (sometimes as low as $20 to 25) plus $10 HDMI-to-3.5mm audio jack dongle.

Cheap Chromecast (sometimes as low as $20 to 25) plus $10 HDMI-to-3.5mm audio jack dongle.

That won't work, HDMI is digital, converters cost more than $10.

The RPi may still be viable. Even the stock audio may not be any worse than what Bluetooth compression creates. There's also options for third-party USB and GPIO DACs such as those listed on the Pi MusicBox page....

That's what I was looking for. I still like the idea but there's a pretty cheap option on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LAIEE4E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2LM6ZPY06LT1N . Only question is codecs, I know only about the basics there.
If I had more time the Pi would be more fun & could upgrade features.

Thanks all

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nope.

I'm back to considering evt & BlueLineSwinger answer. Spent a bunch of time last night trying to get info about this. The amazon iplay2 thing looks dodgy, very little info. Lots of Chinese mass-stuff that looks like dealextreme quality out there.

And the sound quality. No info on that. The Pi has dedicated sound cards with known quality hardware. A lot of community activity too. There are also other distros besides the MusicBox. Options. Nice.

So I'll likely spend the extra and go with Pi B+ and Wolfson audio card add-on. Err, Wolfson now Cirrus. Cirrus audio card.

I like that. Creative. But it's still a DAC of unknown quality. They sound nice on headphones.

I already ordered the Pi, but I'll keep this in mind. Maybe for something like portable audio outside.

Wolfson is in everything. You can also buy an external DAC/Amp down the line that accepts USB and run your Android through it. My Fiio works great via my LG G2. The DAC is great and it cost me hardly anything.

I'd recommend a cheap Android smartphone.

Wolfson is in everything. You can also buy an external DAC/Amp down the line that accepts USB and run your Android through it. My Fiio works great via my LG G2. The DAC is great and it cost me hardly anything.

I'd recommend a cheap Android smartphone.

How much did you pay for the DAC? My total was $75 all in. Would your option be much cheaper?

Even something like a PCM 2704 based DAC can sound pretty good and may be supported by Linux natively.

You can probably try Android TV device (which is around $100), or chromecast (which is way cheaper).

I was thinking the same thing. Android TV device.

So many different options / price ranges.

~rf

I am using apple tvs headless using the toslink for audio into my distributive audio set up. works well for people who live in the apple ecosystem

Raspi + squeezebox/Logitech media server + picore = cheap network audio player.

If not using hdmi than it gets pricier as quality audio out of the pi via analog requires another piece of hardware.

Oh and that Wolfson DAC requires a custom kernel that might not be compatible with your software. Hifiberry does not require a specific kennel AFAIK.

Raspi + squeezebox/Logitech media server + picore = cheap network audio player.

If not using hdmi than it gets pricier as quality audio out of the pi via analog requires another piece of hardware.

Oh and that Wolfson DAC requires a custom kernel that might not be compatible with your software. Hifiberry does not require a specific kennel AFAIK.

Yes I found this out. My pi musicbox still isn't working.

The solution provided using kernel_wolfson.img gives you an old problem of no ethernet/usb. May have worked with previous pi B, but not working with my B+ & 'Cirrus' card - wolfson was just bought out and the B+ compatible card is branded Cirrus.

So I'm stuck till someone fixes. Great.
I have no time to troubleshoot this myself

A finished gadget would have been the better choice.

Does your suggested stack work with B+ & Cirrus?

Yes I found this out. My pi musicbox still isn't working.

The solution provided using kernel_wolfson.img gives you an old problem of no ethernet/usb. May have worked with previous pi B, but not working with my B+ & 'Cirrus' card - wolfson was just bought out and the B+ compatible card is branded Cirrus.

So I'm stuck till someone fixes. Great.
I have no time to troubleshoot this myself

A finished gadget would have been the better choice.

Does your suggested stack work with B+ & Cirrus?
Honestly, I have no experience with the wolfson. I am currently using the hdmi out on the Pi B.

Found this on another forum though, this software setup does support the Wolfson DAC. http://www.squeezeplug.eu/

I built a Pi that runs SqueezeLite (using the Squeezeplug website) and a Wolfson card.

Last edited:
Back