Cheap but effective IP Cam solutions?

notoriousformula

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys, a friend of mine recently got a retail store and wants me to help him w/ some remote surveillance.. I checked out the local stores and founds lots of them selling cheap looking(quality wise..) Orite IPCam for $129 cdn.. they don't have an open box or one on display showing the FPS and quality of the cam on net. kinds skeptic about buying these as Asian stores here don't have a very good exchange or return policies :( . I checked the Orite site, the live demo of the cam is not working..lol.

So, i need your help finding a cheap yet effective IP cam which transmits good video/avi/mpeg4 to net which canbe viewed remotely.. Has any1 tried D-link or the Linksys offerings in this area?

Please help..

I've got one of the Orite's. It works fine as a IP cam, lots of built in features on the Cam itself...

I've seen the d-links used before, and they seem to work alright.... they also have a WIFI version as well... that would make it ALOT easier to setup.

QJ

I just setup a Logitech Orbit MP for remote viewing...using EyeSpyFX, you can even Pan/Tilt/Zoom through the Java page.

Its a small window, but the ability to reorient the camera is pretty sweet.

It's USB, but the features might appeal to you.

I'm looking @ these D-link models http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=2&pid=459 . I'm ready to spend around $1000 on the setup which will include 2-3 wireless cam, a router and Highspeed Cable or DSL internet for $60-70/Month on a business location.

D-link brand and quality is great, But what worries me is how many FPS video will i be able to watch on these from a remote location(10 kms away-High speed net)??

from their specs:
Video Resolution • Up to 30fps at 160x120
• Up to 25fps at 320x240
• Up to 10fps at 640x480

I think that is probably going to be cut in half with remote viewing outside your IntraNet. Just my guess tho.

You need to be aware that *most* video security systems can and often go as low as 1fps to allow for longer recordings, I have installed several professional grade RapidEye systems from Honeywell and even at 1fps it is PLENTY to catch someone doing "something"

you're not trying to play FPS here (pun intended?) , 1fps will get you a great look at someone with enough field of vision, anything around 5fps will do you just fine.

so if those those specs aren't lying you should be all set and should be able to sleep fine at night

ZoT said:
You need to be aware that *most* video security systems can and often go as low as 1fps to allow for longer recordings, I have installed several professional grade RapidEye systems from Honeywell and even at 1fps it is PLENTY to catch someone doing "something"

you're not trying to play FPS here (pun intended?) , 1fps will get you a great look at someone with enough field of vision, anything around 5fps will do you just fine.

so if those those specs aren't lying you should be all set and should be able to sleep fine at night
Thanks for the advice man :) I think i'll go for the D-link 900w ones.. specs look nice and are affordable too :D

cheers everyone.

I recommend the dlink ones ;) Same ones we use bro ! Oh forgot to tell ya, we caught somone (former employee) stealing money from the cash drawer with them.

Back