Cheap build for old person.

Phimp

Gawd
One of my ancient aunts wants me to put together a computer for her.
I don't think she does anything other than email and watch youtube videos that people send her, so I'm keeping it ridiculously simple.

And I don't want the case to look stupid or have shiny led's all over it, etc.
I also need a monitor for it, so I'm trying to find the cheapest lcd possible.

$130 - Shuttle K4
$63 - Intel E1400
$23 - 2 x 1GB DDR2 677
$42 - WD 160GB Hard Drive
$23 - CD-RW / DVD-R Drive
$129 - Cheap 19" LCD

Total = $411 + $48 S&H = $459

Seems to much $$$ for a stupid simple pc.

Anything to simplify this? Make it cheaper?
She already has a license of WinXP, so we'll go with that.

Well she was gonna buy a pc from Dell with a 17" lcd for like $600-700 because she knows absolutely nothing about pricing with computers.
But she only needs the basics.
So many things can be cut back to save a couple hundred $$$

Hmm I'll consider the MSI Wind desktop... since I could put a cd drive in it. I think she has a lot of cd's with family photos and such on them.

$130 for a 19" is way much imo. CL one for uber less or try TD's 22" for $159

I think if you look around on the f/s thread you will be able to find a better deal.

I believe I saw something around the lines of my spec going for ~$275 the other day shipped.

$130 for a 19" is way much imo. CL one for uber less or try TD's 22" for $159
Ya, NewEgg has a 22" for $159 w/ Free shipping also.
I think I'll go with that.

I am hoping to buy the parts within the next hour or so for everything.

I think if you look around on the f/s thread you will be able to find a better deal.

I believe I saw something around the lines of my spec going for ~$275 the other day shipped.

I asked her if she would mind if I got used parts at a good price or a used pc for sale and she said she'd really rather have new parts for everything.

I'd get a Dell. An upgrade to a 19" LCD (1440x900) is only $20 over the base model's 449. Use your XP license or Vista Basic or Premium (+$30). The Dell has a better CPU, 2x the HDD, is pretty quiet and has warranty/support. $500 flat isn't too bad.

You could go with Dell's business line (Vostro) to shave off maybe 40-50.

I asked her if she would mind if I got used parts at a good price or a used pc for sale and she said she'd really rather have new parts for everything.

Blarg, scrounging for money and still this. Aren't you spending outta your own pocket too? If so I'd tell her to deal with it; you're too nice.

Check out some bargain hunting sites, like Got Apex or SlickDeals.net. You may be able to find a complete system, or even a laptop, for under/around $500. For example:

Dell Home - Inspiron 1521 Laptop with 15.4" Display, 2GB DDR2 Memory, 120GB SATA Hard Drive, DVD+/-RW, 802.11 and Webcam for Only $399!
LOW price on a laptop that will do everything you need it to in your small or home office. At this price, you can use it for pretty much anything you'd want including having a computer that the kids can use, or one for travel or that guest room so that the in-laws can check their email. It comes with all that you see above including your choice of a blue or red cover BUT you do need to check off the freebies. Check the FREE upgrade to 2GB of memory and the free upgrade to the DVD+/-RW. And at this price, I would actually upgrade the display (especially since they let you do so) to a very very nice high resolution 1680x1050 glossy screen for $100. Hurry though because it's set to expire 12/10/08 but I doubt it will last. DELL INSPIRON 1521 LAPTOP DEAL

(So it's not a desktop... it's still a pretty good deal.)

Plus, the systems come with at least a one year warranty. That should keep you from becoming the family tech support guy.

I got called a nerd by the SO since I built our new pc from parts

SO...? AFAIK nerd = insult, geek = praise, like hotstuff but hotter.

Get a Dell Vostro (less crapware pre-installed). I got my uncle a Vostro 200 w/ E2180, 2GB, 160GB, DVDRW, GMA3100, XP Home, and a 20" LCD for $400 shipped. Yes, that was a while ago, but similar deals are always around, just check the sites tiraides mentioned.

Forgot about Dell Outlet also. YMMV for deals there of course, but there's always a continuous flow of "new" systems posted.

Forgot about Dell Outlet also. YMMV for deals there of course, but there's always a continuous flow of "new" systems posted.

I second that recommendation. I picked up laptop from the Dell Outlet (long story short: a $1000+ laptop for around $700 shipped), and aside from a big green sticker that they attached to the bottom of the case, you would never guessed that it was a refurb.

Not sure if this site would be of any assistance but may be something to look at. If it is for just basic browsing and a little email I think one of the ITX models would be just fine. They come with a 19" monitor and maybe something you may like.
http://www.systemaxpc.com/ . I have never used one but just throwing the idea out there.

IIRC, SystemaxPC is also one of the retailers with bad CS. Plus, many miniITX systems carry a price premium over a normal (micro-)ATX system due to their smaller size.

The PSU on the TigerDirect barebones system is questionable; I feel like it's not worth the risk. But for the OP's aunt, who seems pretty demanding, I recommend a prebuilt system (with at least a one-year warranty) so the OP doesn't have to do any troubleshooting for her.

Back