• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cheap and nice aluminum case?

Bboy_Jon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
308
is there any case thats aluminum and less than 50 bucks?

im thinking about getting a chieftec dragon full tower since its only 30 bucks at tigerdirect, but its steel and i dunno if i can mod that (never really modded before) might be too hard for me

so is there any nice aluminum case thats pretty nice and cheap?
 
Aluminum cases are nothing but crap. Sure, they may be light and solid but give it a few months and after moving it around a bit and it will be a headache. Periodically the harddrive will rattle for a few days..and then it will stop, totally unlike the CD drive(s). When those things spin up it will ALWAYS rattle and annoy the living shit out of you. I know, I had to deal with one for two years.

It is not worth the trouble Bboy_Jon, get something other than aluminum.
 
Wild Weasel said:
Aluminum cases are nothing but crap. Sure, they may be light and solid but give it a few months and after moving it around a bit and it will be a headache. Periodically the harddrive will rattle for a few days..and then it will stop, totally unlike the CD drive(s). When those things spin up it will ALWAYS rattle and annoy the living shit out of you. I know, I had to deal with one for two years.

It is not worth the trouble Bboy_Jon, get something other than aluminum.

Silence, you speak nothing but nonsense. I have several aluminum cases, and they are quiet and don't have any vibrations.
 
my ATC-210 vibrates from my hdd's....i picked up a couple hdd silencers off xoxide when they had the sale and mounted the hdd's in the 5.25" bays.

they were too close together imo though, so i moved my slave drive back down to the 3.5" and left the master where it was. Much less vibration running through my desk now.
 
I have an aluminum case, but I've got no noise problems. However, I chose a fairly large, quality choice. My case is an entry-level server case, so the quality differs a bit.
 
wow that skyhawk case is nice, 7 bucks too hehe, its TINY though 16 inches

i ordered the big tough heavy duty steel chieftec full tower hehe 30 bucks yo
 
Wild Weasel said:
Aluminum cases are nothing but crap. Sure, they may be light and solid but give it a few months and after moving it around a bit and it will be a headache. Periodically the harddrive will rattle for a few days..and then it will stop, totally unlike the CD drive(s). When those things spin up it will ALWAYS rattle and annoy the living shit out of you. I know, I had to deal with one for two years.


Something tells me he bought one of the very first lanboys that were total POSes.


Those skyhawks are supposed to be really nice, look around for the hazardous materials or whatever it was called mod in the worklogs, that one was made with a skyhawk case. You should be able to get a good idea about them from there.
 
I just got my Antec Super Lanboy for Christmas. It's incredibly quiet, light, but very sturdy. Also each hard drive tray has rubber gromets or mounting fasteners that eliminate any chance of vibration. linky it's above 50 (70+12 at the egg), but i personally find it to be an awesome price for all it had to offer for me.
 
That isn't a Skyhawk. The internal layout of the Skyhawk is different than that $7 case. It does look like it uses the same front bezel, though.
 
lan boy was on sale somewhere for pretty cheap after rebates i think

but ya, i got the chieftec fully, comin in tomorow
 
Wild Weasel said:
Aluminum cases are nothing but crap. Sure, they may be light and solid but give it a few months and after moving it around a bit and it will be a headache. Periodically the harddrive will rattle for a few days..and then it will stop, totally unlike the CD drive(s). When those things spin up it will ALWAYS rattle and annoy the living shit out of you. I know, I had to deal with one for two years.

It is not worth the trouble Bboy_Jon, get something other than aluminum.

n00b, i have a praetorian and it is silent. my processor is oc'd 400 mhz on air. all in the sig. you must have a shitty case or something. higher quality cases like cooler master, lian li and silver stone do not vibrate. my case is extremely sturdy, more sturdy then a lot of cases i had, sonata, chieftec server case, and an antec lanboy. it is also very easy to move around, and impossible to dammage. :mad: :mad: :mad:
 
ubern00b15 said:
you must have a shitty case or something. higher quality cases like cooler master, lian li and silver stone do not vibrate.

my CM ATC-210 vibrates. not really noticeable now that i moved my main hdd to the 5.25" bay with an hdd silencer/adapter, but it vibrated like mad before that.
 
Im getting this case soon

http://www.kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=1&ID=153

Tell me what you think

625200465102PMfront-view.jpg
 
ubern00b15 said:
n00b, i have a praetorian and it is silent. my processor is oc'd 400 mhz on air. all in the sig. you must have a shitty case or something. higher quality cases like cooler master, lian li and silver stone do not vibrate. my case is extremely sturdy, more sturdy then a lot of cases i had, sonata, chieftec server case, and an antec lanboy. it is also very easy to move around, and impossible to dammage. :mad: :mad: :mad:

OK, I will agree that my case was just a lemon and it was a bad first experience (I don't recall the name of the maker) but it's certainly not a reason to get your panties in a knot.
 
Tigerdirect also sells the aluminum Chieftec Dragon ..but it is a little over your set limit at $56 dollars and change. The shiping charges from them yesterday when I looked were only $9.99. But since you already ordered your case I suppose this is a worthless sorta post. sorry did see the info request sooner.
 
ShaolinDragon said:
A Kingwin if I remember. It is meant to be quite a competent Praetorian (or ATC) clone.


not really. that kingwin is actually aimed at the lian li's. it has fake carbon fiber on the top like lian li's do. its really the same thing, ecept cheaper aluminum
my friend had one, the paint on it sucks :mad: It would make more sence to wait a while and save up like 35 bucks and get a lian li or a Coolermaster if thats what you want
 
Wild Weasel said:
Aluminum cases are nothing but crap. Sure, they may be light and solid but give it a few months and after moving it around a bit and it will be a headache. Periodically the harddrive will rattle for a few days..and then it will stop, totally unlike the CD drive(s). When those things spin up it will ALWAYS rattle and annoy the living shit out of you. I know, I had to deal with one for two years.

It is not worth the trouble Bboy_Jon, get something other than aluminum.


My Antec SuperLANBoy, is amazing. They really tryed hard to remove any vibrations, by providing RubberDampeners for the HardDrive slots. It works extremely good at dissipating the heat to. I think it is encouraged by the big 120mm fans on the front and back. The only problem that I found is getting drives to match it. Beige is the closest that I found without paying extra for a silver drive. I'm thinking about getting a drive bay door kinda like you can get for the LianLi cases.
 
Back
Top