Cheap AMD PC Build, need some suggestions

SR-71

n00b
Joined
Oct 21, 2003
Messages
59
Hey, I've thrown together some parts im gonna order of newegg, but I'd like some advice to see if theres anything i could change. I wanna keep it under 650$, and i already have a ATI Radeon 9600 XT.

Here it is:
ANTEC Life Style Series Black Case 380W PSU, Model "SONATA" $99.00
ASUS "K8V SE Deluxe" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL $116.00
AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail $146.00
Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM $100.00
Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM, Model WD800JB, OEM $58.99

$577.49
I can use the remaining money for a mouse/keyboard combo, and i can probally salvage a good monitor from my pop. So, how is it? Suggestions are welcome! Thanks
 
SR-71 said:
Hey, I've thrown together some parts im gonna order of newegg, but I'd like some advice to see if theres anything i could change. I wanna keep it under 650$, and i already have a ATI Radeon 9600 XT.

Here it is:
ANTEC Life Style Series Black Case 380W PSU, Model "SONATA" $99.00
ASUS "K8V SE Deluxe" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL $116.00
AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail $146.00
Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM $100.00
Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM, Model WD800JB, OEM $58.99

$577.49
I can use the remaining money for a mouse/keyboard combo, and i can probally salvage a good monitor from my pop. So, how is it? Suggestions are welcome! Thanks

Sounds like a good setup if you don't plan to overclock
 
I would switch to the ASUS K8N-E deluxe MB with the NForce 3 chipset instead it's $9 more but a much better board IMHO. And you can get 1 GB of Kingmax ram for the price instead of the Corsair 512 MB. Link: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-156-020&DEPA=0
Its rated very well for the price. And why not get a SATA hard drive for $6 more. Then the only thing holding your system back would be the Radeon 9600, which you could replace when you get the funds.
 
Alright I made the changes, Thanks a bunch, what do you guys think of the Logitec LX700 Cordless Duo, for 63$, or is it not worth it? Should go with something cheaper like the ROSEWILL Silver Desktop Wireless Keyboard and Mouse or Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard & Wheel Mouse Optical Value Pack for 25$, and save the 40$ I guess im making too big of a deal of it, but at 15, i like to be safe and get the mose out of my cash.

Edit: I settled with a MX500 mouse, and a keyboard I found in the basement :D , stupid ?, but do i absolutly need thermal paste, i already have some Artic Silver 3 thrown in my basket on newegg, 660 for everything shipped, i think i did quite well?
 
SR-71 said:
Hey, I've thrown together some parts im gonna order of newegg, but I'd like some advice to see if theres anything i could change. I wanna keep it under 650$, and i already have a ATI Radeon 9600 XT.

Here it is:
ANTEC Life Style Series Black Case 380W PSU, Model "SONATA" $99.00
ASUS "K8V SE Deluxe" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard Socket 754 CPU -RETAIL $116.00
AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail $146.00
Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - OEM $100.00
Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM, Model WD800JB, OEM $58.99

$577.49
I can use the remaining money for a mouse/keyboard combo, and i can probally salvage a good monitor from my pop. So, how is it? Suggestions are welcome! Thanks

the epox nforce3 250gb is a pretty good s754 motherboard and its only $70.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-219&depa=0

if youre not comfortable with the epox brand the dfi nforce3 250gb lan party board is only $102
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-147&depa=0

with the money you save you could pick up a dvd burner for $55
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-101-632&depa=0

or maybe a bigger/faster hard drive like the 160gb samsung for $85 ($26 more than the WD)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-011&depa=0

other than these suggestions the specs look great, enjoy the system :D
 
The DFI LanParty 250GB is an excellent board, I was going to go with that board had I not gone to Socket 939.
 
The ideal budget overclocking system would be a 90nm Sempron 3100+ and a DFI NF3 Ultra with a good HSF (XP-90 + Sunon).

However if overclocking is not your thing, there is no reason to go socket 754, given the price difference is neglible and socket 939 gives you support for Winchester core processors and dual channel memory.
 
Back
Top