Cheap 16 core folding rig

Joined
Apr 2, 2007
Messages
525
I have a new folding rig online! When I'm finished tweaking it should get me another 25kppd+.
From a ppd/watt point of view it's efficient (not as much as xeon or oc i7 tho) but what's really interesting is how much it costed! :D

4x 8346HE Opteron $20ea (ebay)
Arima quad-s0cket $85
8x 1gb ecc reg ddr2 sticks ($15ea ebay)
4x AM2 Alpine HS $10ea
PSU OCZ 700W + adapters $60
Hard drive/ GPU I had laying around
-----
That's a total of $385!

Sadly, the motherboard went up in price on ebay, it's at $200, which isn't a hot deal anymore.
It's possible the board will go back to a nice price in the future, so hopefully other folders/crunchers can join in on the deal. For now, please do NOT show interest for the board on ebay. There is also a dozen in stock, so there will be some available :p

The rig gets more interesting with 8356s for folding as it should get 39kppd. For WCG/BOINC, only 4 sticks of ram can be bought (512mb?) for an even cheaper build.

35444384.png


Note: the board requires Linux/W7/Wserver.

Pic with only 1 cpu installed (a pic with 4 will come when camera has batteries :p)
pdr1726.jpg


.

Cheers!
.
 
Awesome build. Looking forward to more pictures.

Also would like to request some 4 CPU (100% load) Wattage readings.

- What project is what WU from in your log?
 
I don't have a watt reader. The cpus have a 68W TDP.

The project is a3 6020. The tpf went down a bit, I'm now at 12.5kppd, it still should be doing more, I probably messed something up :-/
 
The project is a3 6020. The tpf went down a bit, I'm now at 12.5kppd, it still should be doing more, I probably messed something up :-/

The 8346HE is running at 1.8Ghz x 16 cores. 12,500 PPD is not bad for project 6020.

Remember that 6012-6025 are small A3 units.

As the work units get larger in size, the more bonus you can earn vs the benchmark system.
 
Humm..... for the price of a SR-2.

Like evil I would love some watt readings. If you wanted, a kill o watt can normaly be found for around $25.
 
Back
Top