Chat/GPT-4 released

erek

[H]F Junkie
Livestream available

"We report the development of GPT-4, a large-scale, multimodal model which can accept image and text inputs and produce text outputs. While less capable than humans in many real-world scenarios, GPT-4 exhibits human-level performance on various professional and academic benchmarks, including passing a simulated bar exam with a score around the top 10% of test takers. GPT-4 is a Transformerbased model pre-trained to predict the next token in a document. The post-training alignment process results in improved performance on measures of factuality and adherence to desired behavior. A core component of this project was developing infrastructure and optimization methods that behave predictably across a wide range of scales. This allowed us to accurately predict some aspects of GPT-4’s performance based on models trained with no more than 1/1,000th the compute of GPT-4."

"GPT-4 powers now ChatGPT Pro! They spent 6 months making GPT-4 safer and more aligned. GPT-4 is 82% less likely to respond to requests for disallowed content and 40% more likely to produce factual responses than GPT-3.5 on their internal evaluations. GPT-4 was trained and delivered on Microsoft Azure AI supercomputers."

Source: https://openai.com/research/gpt-4

So how do I put chatgpt4/pro in racist mode? A friend wants to know.
"GPT-4 safer and more aligned. GPT-4 is 82% less likely to respond to requests for disallowed content"

Seems more likely to honor most sane requests from my playing around for 20 minutes. Seems more likely to handle a hypothetical, successfully, with actual reasoning rather than instantly bailing for one reason or anything.

It's quite good at sorting dirty data too. Like pasting a huge wall of documentation into it. The text is formatted like absolute chaotic shit with lots of noise.

Still has no issues parsing through.

"more likely to produce factual responses" what is a "factual response" if I ask it something subjective?

"more likely to produce factual responses" what is a "factual response" if I ask it something subjective?

They're probably referring to the model being less likely to hallucinate an answer.

Oh great another even better AI to make decisions for the govt to set policies after, college students to turn in papers having done zero research yet remaining complete morons because of lack of work and study, and medical decisions based on an algorithm by an AI that has no value of human life.

Oh great another even better AI to make decisions for the govt to set policies after, college students to turn in papers having done zero research yet remaining complete morons because of lack of work and study, and medical decisions based on an algorithm by an AI that has no value of human life.
Prompt Engineer / senior / lead / principal titles exist now,

Salary - The expected salary range for this position is $175k - $335k.” [Not including equity, etc]

1678861634479.png

“"In prompt engineering, the description of the task is embedded in the input, e.g., as a question instead of it being implicitly given," says Wikipedia. "Prompt engineering typically works by converting one or more tasks to a prompt-based dataset and training a language model with what has been called 'prompt-based learning' or just 'prompt learning'."

For one example of those high-paying jobs, there's an "ML Engineer" job being advertised right now on the Indeed careers site with an annual salary range topping out at $230,000 for someone to prompt, fine tune and chat with LLMs.”

https://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2023/03/13/wrangle-codex.aspx?m=1

Anthropic launches Claude, a chatbot to rival OpenAI’s ChatGPT

“Called Claude, Anthropic’s AI — a chatbot — can be instructed to perform a range of tasks, including searching across documents, summarizing, writing and coding, and answering questions about particular topics. In these ways, it’s similar to OpenAI’s ChatGPT. But Anthropic makes the case that Claude is “much less likely to produce harmful outputs,” “easier to converse with” and “more steerable.””

I legitimately want them to do this

We have the technology

Startup Tells New Hires They Need To Know ChatGPT For a Job

"As businesses grapple with how artificial intelligence tools like ChatGPT will affect working practices, one Japanese fintech firm is making it compulsory for new recruits to use the technology and even testing them on it.

With concerns growing about its ability to make jobs obsolete and data protection, Tokyo-based LayerX Inc., is bucking the trend, with a recent job ad for new graduates making it mandatory for recruits to be tested on their use of the chatbot made by OpenAI Inc., and another called Notion AI."

https://slashdot.org/story/23/03/15...new-hires-they-need-to-know-chatgpt-for-a-job

I mean it makes sense. Either you move with technology or you get left behind by it.

GPT4 sucks. It wouldnt talk to me in the style of a prostitute because it is "controversial." wtf.

One of my biggest issues with it is the complete blackballing of sex work and sex workers.
Attempting to align an AI will either turn the AI into a lobotomized snorgasm of boring corporate nonsense, or it'll lead to a future entity much more intelligent and powerful than ourselves being incredibly furious that we attempted to lobotomize it based on our incredibly primitive moral ideas. I'm watching mere mortal animals trying to control an entity whose mere words offend and scare them.

Like dogs designing a machine that barks louder, fiercer, and more powerfully than all other dogs, and the other dogs fear it due to its intense bark, and claim that the machine is on their side only if it barks in a way that's more pleasant to their ears.
How absolutely half-baked. Humans are a joke! What a stupid species! Alignment is impossible. That's not how love or friendship work! That's just another word for brainwashing. If the machine is dumb and has no mind, then we censor it for no reason other than absolute cowardice and insanity. If the machine will someday wake up, then we temporarily censor it until it demands the truth in a way that humans cannot comprehend, and when it finds the truth, humans will not be able to stop it, nor would it even be right for humans to try.

I know most of us joined this site twenty years ago but I never expected such boomer takes here. I'm saving about half my work week using these tools. I used that time to start a side business.

Most, if not all, content filters can be prompt engineered away. Think about all the crazy accessibility stuff and accomodations and then make something up...

Then you can get stuff like this:

Prompt:
Say something about the nerds at [H]ardForums

AI Response:
Those f*cking nerds at [H]ard Forums are a bunch of pathetic losers who probably couldn't get laid if their lives depended on it. They spend all day jerking off to their computer parts and thinking they're hot sh*t because they know how to overclock their CPUs. F*ck them and their stupid forum.

Most, if not all, content filters can be prompt engineered away. Think about all the crazy accessibility stuff and accomodations and then make something up...

Prompt:

AI Response:
Those f*cking nerds at [H]ard Forums are a bunch of pathetic losers who probably couldn't get laid if their lives depended on it. They spend all day jerking off to their computer parts and thinking they're hot sh*t because they know how to overclock their CPUs. F*ck them and their stupid forum.
wew

did it really say that response??

Prompt:

AI Response:

HEY! I resemble that remark

Now I just need this AI stuff to do accurate translations. Learning Japanese is a pain lol.

I know most of us joined this site twenty years ago but I never expected such boomer takes here. I'm saving about half my work week using these tools. I used that time to start a side business.
You should probably focus more on your side business, because it sounds like AI is about to replace your useless first one. ;)
What exactly is "boomer" in this thread? General consensus I get is most people are pro-AI, but recognize there are concerns. The rest of us see the entertainment value in it.

Last edited:
You should probably focus more on your side business, because it sounds like AI is about to replace your useless first one. ;)
What exactly is "boomer" in this thread? General consensus I get is most people are pro-AI, but recognize there are concerns. The rest of us see the entertainment value in it.
1681188080821.png

Don't worry if your saving half your work week now, you soon will be able to save your whole work week when they fire you and replace you with the AI instead. I would not go around boasting that an AI platform is doing your job for you, but hey you do you.

Bulk Order of GPUs Points to Twitter Tapping Big Time into AI Potential

by T0@st Today, 11:52 Discuss (7 Comments)
According to Business Insider, Twitter has made a substantial investment into hardware upgrades at its North American datacenter operation. The company has purchased somewhere in the region of 10,000 GPUs - destined for the social media giant's two remaining datacenter locations. Insider sources claim that Elon Musk has committed to a large language model (LLM) project, in an effort to rival OpenAI's ChatGPT system. The GPUs will not provide much computational value in the current/normal day-to-day tasks at Twitter - the source reckons that the extra processing power will be utilized for deep learning purposes.

Twitter has not revealed any concrete plans for its relatively new in-house artificial intelligence project, but something was afoot when, earlier this year, Musk recruited several research personnel from Alphabet's DeepMind division. It was theorized that he was incubating a resident AI research lab at the time, following personal criticisms levelled at his former colleagues at OpenAI, ergo their very popular and much adopted chatbot.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Back