Charging Phone While Car (and outlet) is Off?

Ocean

Supreme [H]ardness
Im shopping for something.

Car turns off cigarette lighter when car is off. i am wanting the ability to leave the phone in the car to charge. Ive concluded that i would need an external backup battery pack that:

A) charges itself whenever the car is on via the cigarette lighter. (preferably quickly while driving)
B) can continuously tolerate the temperature fluctuations in a garaged car with outside temps between ranging yearly between 10F and 100F.
C) might be an all-in-one unit?

i am having difficulty finding one, because i dont know how do google it successfully without ending up in electronic cigarette charger land, and i also seem unable to find all in one units.

is there some technical reason that this would be a bad idea?

Depending on your car why not just wire up one cigarette lighter directly to the battery so it can charge your phone with the car off? All you would need to do is take it off the switched V+ and put it on the constant with a fuse.

Get a battery bank. A solar charging battery pack would be even better. Plug it into the car, plug phone into the bank.

Depending on your car why not just wire up one cigarette lighter directly to the battery so it can charge your phone with the car off? All you would need to do is take it off the switched V+ and put it on the constant with a fuse.

then you forget to remove the device at night, and drain your car battery :D

one way is to get a normal car outlet (to 2.1A USB). Hook up a portable battery so that it charges from the car outlet....

connect your phone to the portable battery

when car is on, portable battery charges from outlet, and discharges to phone
when car is off, portable battery discharges to phone

the portable battery probably degrades quickly though...

just wire an always on cigerette lighter its n/p my truck came always on but i wired one myself in my jeep before i got rid of it. I literally used wire for install an amplifier

That is one reason I used to like my old Buick(God rest it's soul! :D) the 12V charging still worked when vehicle was off, but had battery run-down protection so it wouldn't kill the battery.

then you forget to remove the device at night, and drain your car battery :D

one way is to get a normal car outlet (to 2.1A USB). Hook up a portable battery so that it charges from the car outlet....

connect your phone to the portable battery

when car is on, portable battery charges from outlet, and discharges to phone
when car is off, portable battery discharges to phone

if you car battery runs out after one day of leaving a phone plugged into it you got other problems. I've left my phone charging a week n/p truck still started and thats with a car alarm draining it too

if you car battery runs out after one day of leaving a phone plugged into it you got other problems. I've left my phone charging a week n/p truck still started and thats with a car alarm draining it too

Agreed.... any decent car battery should be able to charge a phone for weeks before dying.

Yeah thats what im wondering, can these power packs last in car?

this is also not my car (nor will i ever be using it), so wiring will not be an option. Was just simplifying the needs for story sake, but i will be choosing and buying the gizmo/solution.

Back