Charging iPad 2

ben5

Limp Gawd
Hey so apparently you can't natively charge the iPad to a pc for some reason because typically most pcs don't provide that much power to USB ports,but I was told there was a way around it , can anyone giv some insight?

Yeah I know , I'm just wondering if there is some way I can force more juice into the usb some how

My msi board is designed and has special software so that I can provide extra juice specifically to charge an iPad (it is called i-charger, I havent used it and cannot comment whether or not it works well). But beyond it being build into the system I dont know if it is possible.

Edit: If you have an MSI motherboard you should be able to download it and use it. Not only boards designed for it.

Also: I think the iPad will charge slowly when connected to a normal USB *when asleep*. But will display will show not charging when awake.

Also again: Asus seems to also have an app to do this called AiCharger

Last edited:
Yeah I know , I'm just wondering if there is some way I can force more juice into the usb some how

You need 2 A @ 5 V. That wall charger that comes with the iPad 2 is designed to provide this. If you can find a PC usb port that provides 2 A @ 5 V, it might work. Not worth it to charge it on a normal PC USB port, IMO. Use the wall charger.

As far as I have read, your computer USB only charges when the iPad is inactive. You can test this by plugging it in, hit the lock button, leave it alone for an hour, and you'll see a very small battery gain. Also, from what I can tell, the iPhone wall charge is only 5 watts. The iPad wall charger, which looks different too, charges at 10 watts. For what it's worth, I charged my iPad 2 yesterday from completely dead/turned itself off, to 100% is a bit over 4 hours using the iPad charger.

I noticed this to when I picked up my ipad. When I need to charge it now from a pc I just have to shut it off and let it full charge. As others have said though the wall charger pays for it self because of this with ease.

As a tangent, I noticed my new i7 MBP (13.3 inch) can charge the iPad. My old MBP did not.

FYI, I plugged it into my PC's USB at 73% charge, locked it, did some housework for almost an hour, and it was at 78% when I unplugged it.

Could you not charge the iPad 2 faster through an externally powered USB 2.0 port?

I have an Asus Mobo and the Aicharger software does the job for upping the power on my USB ports. Several of the mobo manufacturers have software to do this. Check the software available from your mobo manufacturer.

Hey so apparently you can't natively charge the iPad to a pc for some reason because typically most pcs don't provide that much power to USB ports,but I was told there was a way around it , can anyone giv some insight?

My Macbook Air charges my Ipad 2. Slowly.

If you put the iPad 2 to sleep, it will charge normally plugged unto a usb port.

Back