Changing WAN IP via Proxy/Tunnel

ToddW2

2[H]4U
I use Putty.exe in Windows to tunnel through one of my many private servers. (I pay usage, etc)

I'm pretty sure my router can be configured to make all web traffic go through the tunnel if I wanted.

However, I only want to do that for 1 port. Is it possible to do such things on a Managed Switch? Or would I need to do it at the router level and use a different subnet?

I'm new to doing much beyond 'basics' with the router and switches.

Todd

Well you could setup a SOCKS proxy to push all your web traffic through the SSH tunnel, or you could use a managed switch or VPN setup on your router to designate the port you'd like to use... just kinda depends on where you'd like this happening. What are you using for your router/firewall (software)?

Router: ZyXEL ZyWALL USG50

Switches: Netgear GS110TP

The idea is that I can have an IP and my wife can, and then we can change them anytime by just changing servers/vps/cloud to tunnel through.

Worst case scenario is we have 1 'WAN' tunneled IP we all share, and then I can configure mine at the desktop level if I really really need to.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Pretty easy to do this on any router running linux. Although the easiest way is to use the ssh tunnel /w built-in socks proxy.

Back