Changing volume levels on a video clip

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I have a video clip that was originally on DVD that I converted to wmv for use in a PowerPoint presentation. Is there any easy way to raise the volume of the video file? I have several other clips to play that are all at a normal volume level, but this one is barely audible. I'd like to get them within the same range.

The speakers I'll be using in the meeting will already be at nearly their max volume. The clip is also from one of our employee's TV appearances, and we have permission from the TV station...so there's no illegal activity going on here.

For a WMV it's gonna be a bitch: you're going to have to demux it into audio/video streams, do a boost on the audio (tricky since you didn't specify what the audio track is, it can/could be Windows Media audio, mp3, etc etc), then remux it back with the video track. There's no easy way to just boost the audio as it presently exists in the file, i.e. you can't work on the audio while it's still part of the AV stream.

If the normal volume on the machine doing the playback can't get it loud enough, one solution is - using MPC-HC of course - to boost the volume to whatever level is appropriate:

volumeboostmpchc.png

That should help, and it can definitely make low volume audio tracks pretty loud. I know older versions of WMP had an "enhancement" that could alter the playback levels with some volume boost, but WMP12 in Windows 7 is lacking that feature. Might still exist in WMP11 on Vista and WMP10 and prior versions on XP maybe.

I'd say grab MPC-HC from http://xvidvideo.ru (latest version, just the .exe) and use that to get it done unless you're really going full bore on doing the edit of the actual audio stream after demuxing it.

I found a website, media_convert.com that did it for me. Just a few seconds to upload the clip and then I had a download link to grab the newly edited clip...and it sounds much louder, right in line with other clips I'll need to use.

Back