Changing Refresh Rate

I finally got that 21" beast of a monitor and am running my desktop res at 1024x768 @ 85hertz. I would like to increase the refresh rate but under monitor properties it only goes up to 85 hertz. I can uncheck the button that says "hide modes this monitor cannot display" and will get more options. If I do use anything higher than 85, will my monitor become unstable or not work?
http://www.accurateit.com/details.asp?iid=175
this is the monitor I am using. It can go up to 2048 x 1536 @ 75Hz.

It will work with no problems as long as you know the maximum refresh rate your monitor supports at each resolution. You have to uncheck the "hide modes..." button because you don't have drivers for that monitor installed so Windows don't know it's maximum frequency.

Your "plug and play" monitor is telling your graphics card driver the right max Hz it can support on specific resolution. Resolution + Hz equals bandwith and you cannot exceed those on given monitor.

Just going off my 6 year old 19" Sony Trinitron monitor that could handle 1024x768 @ 100hz I'm guessing you could easily crank it up to 100 or even 120hz. Most quality monitors that I've ever used have a fail safe and just turn off the screen if they're supplied with a refresh rate they can't handle.

Back