Changing Quality for webcam capture...

Ashton

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 13, 2004
Messages
2,514
I have a webcam I got off eBay. IT claims to be able to handle something like 8 or 10 MP, however the included software (that has options for these) always tells me it cant set the preview (when above 800x600)

Is there a way to do this with another program? (I am aware that the 8mp setting would be for stills while 800x600 is live-video, and I'm ok with that - but I want to be able to capture it @ 8mp)
 
Without knowing the particular (brand and model/number, if you can find it) of camera that you have, we can't really help you much.
 
Without knowing the particular (brand and model/number, if you can find it) of camera that you have, we can't really help you much.

oh, I figured it was more a software issue than a hardware issue...

It's a"UOCAM" I looked at their website and it looks like its the BG model (but without the microphone)

keep in mind, it workd great as a low-quality webcam (800x600) but I cant get stills from it despite the 8mp stills claims...
 
Outside of the product page, there's nothing that I could find on it.

One thing that disturbs me, however, is the fact that it uses "software enhancement" in order to reach its high megapixel levels for photos and videos. Something tells me that it's physically incapable of producing 8 MP stills. (Then again, have you tried downloading the driver?)
 
Last edited:
Outside of the product page, there's nothing that I could find on it.

One thing that disturbs me, however, is the fact that it uses "software enhancement" in order to reach its high megapixel levels for photos and videos. Something tells me that it's physically incapable of producing 8 MP stills. (Then again, have you tried downloading the driver?)

Yeah, I saw that too, but 8MP is a far cry from 800x600, so I figure it's better than that (I'm thinking maybe 2-5mp) I just wanted to use it for a studio application (photography classwork) where I could frame a shot on a large screen when setting up a scene so I wouldn't have to run back and forth between the backdrop/props/person(s) and the camera

lol, new driver has fewer options than the old one. I've got both installed. So far, all I can do (with the old driver) is make the 800x600 image larger (using pixel-doubling) on the low-quality preview. I can find no way to capture a still image (despite the "easy capture button on top" making it clear there's a function) the application it comes with only saves video (at 800x600)

I tried installing a 3rd party program but it had issues with Win7 I think and also it wouldn't let me adjust the quality either... Most of what I found cost $$$ and I wasnt going to invest on a "maybe it'll work" of course

Failing all else, does anyone know of an inexpensive webcam that *does* offer these features? I dont need but 3mp or better for still capture (though bigger is always better)
 
Back
Top