Changing monitor initialization order?

Activate: AMD

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got three monitors hooked up to my top card (2x7970's in CF), a center 1440P panel hooked up to DL-DVI, one 1080P to HDMI, and one 1080P to a DP->DVI adapter. Ever since I've had this setup, the two side panels initialize in bios while the center 1440P panel stays dark. This wouldn't be such an annoyance if they weren't in portrait mode, thus rendering the bios screens sideways. Is there any way to change the order or force the DL-DVI to initialize? If I put one of the monitors on my second card would that change anything?

None that I know of- I have one monitor on portrait, another inverted in landscape, and it can get messy.

If I'm not mistaken the cards have like an order in which they go by for the bios screen as to which shows. I think hdmi/dp are first and dvis are last. If I ever have two monitors connected, the one on dvi never shows over the others in bios.

I have a similar set up with three monitors and two video cards. Only way is to just not turn on one.

Yea the way I understand it is that ports have a sort of "boot order" same with monitor inputs. The more inputs on a monitor the more input lag as it cycles through the inputs before it displays onto the screen. I believe gpus are similar in regards to their output. They cycle through a "detection" order and will go off whichever it finds first. I think hdmi/dp are first as they always override dvi and therefore dvi is last. I've never seen a dvi port load over anything else on a gpu.

Hmm. Any thoughts on my idea of putting the third monitor on the second GPU? I can't test right now since one of my GPU's is temporarily uninstalled from the system. Would I be able to use the second and/or third monitor(s) on the second card with CrossFire, and would doing so allow the DVI to initialize?

I don't think you can. You can either have SLI/CF, or you can have two separate cards. However, you have Intel video built-in- why not push your periphery monitors to it? I power two monitors off of my 2500k, and two (or three, sometimes) off of my first GTX670. The primary monitor off of the GTX670 takes priority for BIOS etc.

He's only got a single HDMI port on his motherboard.

That may be enough, though, if he can push one of his three monitors to the motherboard and then get the other two in a sufficient configuration to get the BIOS on a landscape screen.

Back