Changing icon sizes

Kramerican

Limp Gawd
I customized icons in my tv show folder, though after adding custom images as folder icons, the image is much smaller than that of windows default folder icons. When I try to make the icons bigger via windows "view" settings, it just creates a bigger white space around the icon...with the icon the same size. How Can I make the actual image bigger?

Windows vista btw

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but...

If you have a wheelmouse (pretty much the defacto standard nowadays for mice), open Explorer, load any given folder where the icons are that you're referring to, click in the right pane so that has the focus, and hold Control then roll the wheel on the mouse up: it should cause the View to change and you can adjust the size of the icons based on how much of a roll you use. If you roll the wheel down it'll just change through the other view options like List, Details, Tiles, Content, etc.

That's all that comes to mind when I read your post, so I hope this helps and was what you were looking for. I think. :p

I appreciate the attempt man, but that doesn't work. For some reason the actual picture stays the same size but the white void between icons gets bigger.

Oh well, guess they improved that with Windows 7 - when I roll the wheel I can go from the smallest icon size to the largest (those super huge 256x256 mothers...). Never used Vista as my OS but I figured it worked the same.

Another plus for Windows 7, I suppose. ;)

One thing you can check, however:

Go into your Explorer options and make sure the View options are set so it shows thumbnails and not icons, like this:

iconsnotthumbnails.png

You have to uncheck the box so it shows thumbnails - if it is checked, then it'll be stuck with icons and those tend to stay the same size. I just altered this on mine (my default is what's pictured, as I change that when I clean install Windows 7) to show icons and rolled the wheel and got the same effect, the icons altered in size literally. I'm going to guess it's just something the altered for Windows 7 if it has no effect on Vista.

Could also try unchecking those View options as I've done, it might make a difference, might not. I don't use the defaults, obviously, but I use List view exclusively to begin with.

I made a short video using CamStudio to show what it looks like, at least on Windows 7, with respect to rolling the wheel. If this isn't what you're trying to do then I guess I misunderstood the original post...

http://www.mediafire.com/?0zuvmdgjysjp2sv (SWF Flash Video file, 3.5MB)

Ain't the best quality but you can see how the icons/thumbnails do alter in size based on me rolling the wheel.

The only other thing that I can think of - really tangential thinking here - is that the images chosen for the "customized" icons are too small in the first place. You can use PNGs up to 256x256 for the custom icons, and then Windows adjusts it just like any other based on simple vector scaling. But if they're so small to begin with, they're not going to "blow up" in size. If you used something like 16x16 images or whatever (I doubt it) then that could also be a potential reason that aspect isn't working.

In any other folders, if you do the wheel roll holding Control, does this work as it should, or is it just confined to that one folder you're talking about where nothing seems to change but the icon border?

Last edited:
What are the dimensions of these custom icons? Are they really small?

Some actually do get bigger after I "make icons larger". Hang on a sec I'll try and get a screenshot up so you guys get a better picture of the situation.

Foldericonsizing.jpg

You can see how the Spartacus folder is the correct size, but the Dexter folder is having the problem...

This is on Large sizing btw

Last edited:
I was editing my post when rive22 mentioned the small image sizes... so he beat me to it, actually.

It's always a potential...

hmmmm. Those folders look to be at least 200 pixels. I'd go for the 256x256 icon size. Any decent image program that can resize and save to .png format, then you can use AveIconifier to convert those to icons. :)

I was editing my post when rive22 mentioned the small image sizes... so he beat me to it, actually.

It's always a potential...

I think he is right. I am noticing the smaller dimension ones are actually appearing bigger... Now I just need to find a program to resize with...

Back