Changing hardware before resuming from hibernation (W7)...?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
(I've rethought my issue and decided to re-word it in a better, separate subject/thread here)

Is it possible for a Windows 7 system to wake from hibernation with different hardware -- namely, a new/different main SSD cloned exactly with the old SSD? (unideal situation, I know)

I keep BSODing (7A, 0xC000000E) after the "Resuming Windows" screen, after seemingly making it all the way to the point where the DWM starts and just before the login screen appears.

Can I modify a hibernated system's driver set -- either injecting a driver for the newly installed SSD, or even just reverting to a base/generic default driver to get the system booted?

Yes you can clone a hibernated drive and it will still most likely boot back into windows (have done it tons of times on accident).

You shouldn't need to add any drivers.

However I don't know if that will resolve your blue screen.... you keep saying it's trying to resume - have you tried deleting the restoration data? Try tapping f8 on boot and see if you have the option to delete restoration data and continue booting.

If your OS is damaged then it will clone the damage to the new OS.

Based on Google searches, there is no one that successfully recovered the hibernated state from that error code.

Paragon Hard Disk Manager has a built in utility called P2P adjust that will allow you to inject specific drivers if you feel it's required. This can also fix underlying issues that will prevent booting. However, I"m not sure if it will mess with hyberfil.sys.

You are not going to be able to boot without that error.

When hibernation resumes, it doesn't reload drivers or anything.

The drivers that are already loaded in the hibernation file are going to be trying to read/write to specific hardware at specific memory addresses.

Change the hardware and it will not work.

You'll have to attach the drive to another system and delete hiberfil.sys and possibly do a start up repair.

Thanks all for the help. I guess I'm SOL trying to recover this hibernation.

As a last ditch effort, two questions:

1.) Is it possible to enable the viewing of the underlying loading processes of the hibernation as it resumes, much like enabling the "No GUI boot" with msconfig? I've tried tapping F8 to enable the option, but it seems that F8 isn't accessible when there's a hibernation to resume from. I'm curious about the precise spot that's causing the BSOD.

2.) Might there be any possible way to "jury-rig" this hibernated image into a virtual machine and then "symlink" (so to speak) the old SSD's hardware/memory location to the virtual drive's hw/mem location? I assume probably not.

Seems like this pretty much explains it:

You are not going to be able to boot without that error.

When hibernation resumes, it doesn't reload drivers or anything.

The drivers that are already loaded in the hibernation file are going to be trying to read/write to specific hardware at specific memory addresses.

Change the hardware and it will not work.

Now it makes sense why the BSOD says it's unable to write any of the logging/details to disk.

What's strange, however, is the fact that the hibernation is even able to commence resuming from the drive in the first place -- the fact that Windows is able to read and start the un-hibernate process from the hibernation file on the new SSD -- doesn't that lend credence to the SSD being accessible/readable (in the context of a swapped drive while hibernated)?

And finally, even if just for reference's sake --

With the SATA controller (and its drivers) remaining the same, would a new SSD located at the same SATA port not be in the same "place"? Or is it a deeper level of "place" as far as memory locations? As it's merely an SSD and not the actual controller, could there theoretically be any chance of "symlinking" or redirecting the old SSD's hw/memory location with the new SSD?

I'm not well versed in Windows/HAL mechanics.

Back