Changing from hubs to Cisco 2960g switches

ben chi(f4)

2[H]4U
If I change my netgear hubs to cisco 2960g switches... will my network shares still work the same? i.e. all my computers be able to see all the shares?

As long as you don't mess with the VLAN config or anything, but if you're not going to do that, why spend the money on 2960s?

If you're going from old hubs, check out the cable infrastructure and make sure it can handle gigabit... CAT5e+

We already have the infrastructure there, I just wasn't too sure about the network shares.

The network is stand-alone and not connected to the internet(s)

I know, I meant make sure the existing infrastructure is all cat5e or better, anything less and you'll be creating more problems and slowing your network more than it is now. I just assume since there are hubs in place, that the existing cable is OLD.

because two devices trying to communicate at 1000mbps over cat3/4 doesn't work well.

In my experience "gigabit" has worked fine over Cat3. The devices simply negotiate a lower speed.

I don't care if the OP is using cat3, cat5e or fiber, if he is going from hubs to switches he is going to see a huge improvement in collision loss alone. I'm surprised you are still running hubs. How large of a network is this?

If the network runs ok on the hubs then you should be able to simply plug and play the switches without an issue and get a large performance improvement. If the network is too large you might want to consider breaking it up into VLANs to reduce the broadcast domain but I suspect your network is too small for that to be a concern.

Back