changing drive letter

snyper238

Limp Gawd
is there a way to change my drive letter on the drive i have XP installed on?

There was another drive in my system at the tiem of the install and it made it drive F. I need to change it to C but I cant do it from inside windows.

Any other way to do it?

Nope, you aren't going to change the system volume, unless you don't want to boot anymore. You're only option is to back up your data, reinstall, and pay attention to your choices.

There are links out there explaining hwo to do this manually, but I know many on these boards have tried, and I don't recall hearing a single person say it worked. If you do try, I would recommend backing up your data first...just in case.

i change my drive letters all the time, you don't need to back anything up

just go to start > control panel > administrative tools > computer managements > disk manager > right click on the drives you want to change

since C is already taken up, change the current C into D and change F to C etc etc etc

Agreed, that won't work. I tried some of the other guides about changing the boot letter, but none of them seemed to work. Nuke and reinstall has been the only solution.

You can change any and all drive letters, but the system drive or your system wont boot on the next restart.

Good Luck :)

i recently swapped drive letters.

i bought a new drive, and ghosted the older drive onto it (so i could boot from both drives) make sure you have an ample sized page file on both HDDs.

the new drive was D:\, old drive was C:\ I wanted to swap that so my new drive was the system disk.

first, boot to the new drive (D:\) by switching the bios boot priority in your bios.

swap the drive letters in the registry (as detailed on the M$ website under "how to change drive letters") make the C:\ drive Z:\ (for now)

reboot into the bios, and chenge the boot drive to Z:\ - then boot into windows on it.

swap the drive letters in the registry (as detailed on the M$ website under "how to change drive letters") make the D:\ drive the C:\ .

Now your new HDD is C:\

reboot into bios and switch priority to the C:\ and if you wish, change the Z:\ to whatever drive letter you want (i did D:\)

zv

Back