Changing Channel W/ Remote?

Nomikal

Gawd
I'm fairly new to the HTPC area and would like to know if I would need an additional cable box.

I thinking about purchasing an hauppage PVR-150 with IR blaster and remote, but I'm wondering do I need a new separate cable box or will my existing cable box hooked to my t.v in the living room work. If the latter is the case how will I change the channel if the box is some distance in the other room(not far, but IR signals don't travel through walls) and if i change channel for my htpc will it also change the channel on my t.v?

If you want the 'encrypted' or digital channels on your PVR box, then you'll need another cable box. If you just want the regular stations, (non-digital, under channel 99 for me w/ TimeWarner), then you'll just need a cable splitter before the cable box to get a fresh line to your PVR tuner.

The big questions are -

1. Why do you want the HTPC? To use as a DVR?
2. Do you want to substitue the cable box or supplement it?
3. Do you want HDTV?

The big questions are -

1. Why do you want the HTPC? To use as a DVR?
2. Do you want to substitue the cable box or supplement it?
3. Do you want HDTV?

I want an HTPC to watch comcast television on my computer(all channels not just 1-99) with the ability to record onto my HDD. Additionally, I would like HDTV, but it seems at the moment one is only able to view non-premium channels in HD and Premium HD channels require an HD box from comcast, so that isn't a high priority of mine at the moment.

HTPCs will be able to tune to all the available TV stations and not just up to 99. So you won't need the cable box. You can go straight from the wall into the tv tuner card in your PC. Get the Hauppauge 160 I believe. Does that help?

To clarify, if you have digital cable, a PC TV Tuner will not tune any digital stations (over 99 for me, maybe higher else where). ATI has just come out with one that does have CableCARD support, but it is still testing and destined for OEM's only.

To get 'digital' channels from your cable provider, you'll need another cable box and an IR receiver/blaster to control the box. That is unless you get a box that can be controlled via a direct interface (serial, firewire). You'll still be going analog to your HTPC, but the cable box will decode the digital stations for you.

You could always get a hauppauge hvr 1600 and get OTA(over-the-air) HD and regular cable. It works great for me. I also hear the HDHomeRun works nicely, just more expensive.

a pretty good write-up on the subject
http://ruel.net/pc/tv.tuner.getting.more.than.125.channels.htm

Back