Changes to CCNP

yeah i was reading that this morning

what are your certs?

the new books should be out next month, around the middle to end, if i'm not mistaken

CCNA, CCNA:Voice, MCP, A+, Network+.

I was working on BSCI, but I think I may wait for the new material now. The new CCNP is much more oriented towards preparing the candidate for the CCIE.

BSCI and BCMSN exams can count toward if you don't finish ISCW or ONT before 7/31 according to this. So if you take those two and finish, then all you need to do is TSHOOT and you're done.

Based on the substantial overlap of test topics, passing scores achieved on BSCI, BCMSN and/or COMP will continue to be accepted for certification purposes as long as they remain valid--three years from the date passed

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le10/ccnp_exam_combo_tool.html

Mr. Protoform, if you could pass those (it's conceivable) by 7/31 you could just take T shoot and be done

that is a NICE shortcut, especially if you've already been in the process of studying BSCI as it seems by your post that you are, I would encourage you to try that route if you feel comfortable with the accelerated pace you'll have to do it in

you only need to pass BSCI and BCMSN in the next 6 months, doable!!!

BCMSN isn't that hard, BSCI is tough to pick up and run with at first

i wish you luck no matter how you do it

My immediate goals are CCNA in March, Network+ in April, and A+ in May, then going to learn CCNA Security

gonna get A+ and Network+ since school will pay for them and they will remain valid for a lifetime if i pass them before the end of the year.

Fail, are you a retired CCNP? Just asking since you're talking like you've taken BSCI and BCMSN, but you also mention taking the CCNA in the future.

BSCI so far has been extremely challenging.. Which is nice, actually. Its good to know things that others have a hard time learning. Maybe I will go the BSCI/BCMSN/TSHOOT route. I guess the tshoot course is really the biggest change to orient CCNP candidates for CCIE studies.

No, LOL

Not a retired anything, i'm only 27. I have my BSCI lab book and I read a lot online on forums about the exams because I'm trying to find the best path for myself

seems to be CCNA -----> CCNA Security ------> CCNP/CCSP, maybe going back for the entry level CCNA offshoots, Wireless and Voice, and maybe CCDA

but for now, my short term goal is simply CCNA, Network+, A+ and Security+ and CCNA Security, all this year

sitting the CCNA exam in March and going to take A+, Network+ and Security+ in April/May/June, hoping to have CCNA Security done before summer is out, and then might go on to advanced Cisco classes in college just so I can have access to actual equipment while i "accidentally learn a few things" in class

I AM excited about the new CCNP changes, i like the fact it has Troubleshooting, which is something I like doing in my CCNA Packet Tracer labs

and the fact it's 90 percent labs on that part makes it doubly fun.

Others might groan and bitch and stuff, but not me

if it's broken, it's fun to fix

My immediate goals are CCNA in March, Network+ in April, and A+ in May, then going to learn CCNA Security

If I were you, I'd do A+ first, then Net+, then CCNA, then CCNA:Security (from easiest to hardest).

With your order, it'd be like graduating High School (CCNA), and then going to take some 5th grade classes (A+/Net+).

Changes to CCNP look pretty positive to me...

I'm going to do BCMSN here shortly for practice since I haven't taken a Cisco exam for a really long time. I'll probably try to squeeze BSCI in as well before the cutoff since I have all the material already and am more familiar with the current track. TSHOOT sounds fun. Since I have gobs of real-world hands-on practice, and an epic amount of devices at work and at home to fiddle with, prep for this new test shouldn't be too hard IMO.

Last edited:
Im retaking my ccna next month (hate that these shits expire) and was kinda pissed to hear they're changing the exams since i already bought the ccnp books. but since they overlap i'll take the bsci, bcmsn, and tshoot and be done with it. tshoot is gonna be hard for me, i hate these fucking troubleshooting exams. too much theory :(.

either way, I'll have my ccnp by July

well i'm already almost done with my CCNA courses at college

i've already scheduled the CCNA for March, i'm only grabbing the other certs because

1) the school pays for the exams, costs me nothing

2) I have no real world job experience with IT, so I'll need those certs to put on my resume so I look better

3) CompTIA said all certs earned this year and before are lifetime, after this year, it costs money every year and every 3 years you have to renew, so, better to just get er done

How is a troubleshooting exam 'theory'? You either fix it and it works or you don't. That's practical, not theoretical.

not only that

you really believe you shouldn't be tested on your ability to fix what's broken?

How is a troubleshooting exam 'theory'? You either fix it and it works or you don't. That's practical, not theoretical.

because it's not a normal multiple choice question. there's 15 ways to troubleshoot the same problem. and i'm supposed to answer it the way cisco says i should troubleshoot even if there's an alternative that also works.

not only that

you really believe you shouldn't be tested on your ability to fix what's broken?

It's not about being tested on my ability to troubleshoot. it's being tested on my ability to troubleshoot according to the way the vendor says even if i have an alternative that works just as well.

because it's not a normal multiple choice question. there's 15 ways to troubleshoot the same problem. and i'm supposed to answer it the way cisco says i should troubleshoot even if there's an alternative that also works.

It's not about being tested on my ability to troubleshoot. it's being tested on my ability to troubleshoot according to the way the vendor says even if i have an alternative that works just as well.

You're taking a vendor specific format. If you're not willing to concede to doing things the way they want, then why bother taking their exams and getting their certification? I'm really not trying to be a dick here, but you make no sense in your logic for taking a Cisco test in that you complain about having to learn the Cisco way to do things.

You're being tested on Cisco devices, you're supposed to know how to troubleshoot according to Cisco's best practices, that's what your exam covers and that's what you're graded on, what else do you expect, really? What you're saying has no validity as it relates to the course material or exam. If you don't like it, then don't take the exams or get certified, since you clearly know the best way to do things. In fact, you might as well develop your own course material and your own certification exam and promote it worldwide and see how far you get with your "alternative".

I already took the ccna awhile back, might be time to take ccnp. Plus might go the security route, in further certifications.

You're being tested on Cisco devices, you're supposed to know how to troubleshoot according to Cisco's best practices, that's what your exam covers and that's what you're graded on, what else do you expect, really? What you're saying has no validity as it relates to the course material or exam. If you don't like it, then don't take the exams or get certified, since you clearly know the best way to do things. In fact, you might as well develop your own course material and your own certification exam and promote it worldwide and see how far you get with your "alternative".
You're taking a vendor specific format. If you're not willing to concede to doing things the way they want, then why bother taking their exams and getting their certification? I'm really not trying to be a dick here, but you make no sense in your logic for taking a Cisco test in that you complain about having to learn the Cisco way to do things.

Technically, there's no written "standard" for troubleshooting Cisco devices. You will find contradictory information all over CCO regarding troubleshooting. Honestly though, I do not think that this change will have any "best practices" approach for troubleshooting as you will always come out with the same final conclusion(weather it works or not). With that said, if they are expecting some kind of configuration change to get something to work then you're going to have to know the best possible way to FIX what your troubleshot... totally different ball of wax here and seriously treading on CCIE criteria(which it should). Being a CCNP and moving to the CCIE there is a MASSIVE learning curve for those that simply study from a book and dont lab, which Cisco is fully aware of. They are trying to make that curve smaller, therefore forcing people to start labbing the technology.

I think the troubleshooting section will be easy. It may look daunting(I could totally see Cisco using the SAME ype topology as they do for the r&s 4.0) at first but keep in mind this is a professional level certification. This is not the CCIE, so I highly doubt there is going to be many misleading troubleshooting questions, etc.

Again, like ive always said.. as long as you prepare like a real CCNP(doing tons of labbing) you will be ready for tshoot EASILY.

btw, thanks for the laugh neo... troubleshooting theory... love it :D(yeah yeah, I know what you meant!)

You know that's true because you know how Cisco scores the exams? We all know that's BS. Nobody knows how Cisco scores their exams exactly, yet you talk like you do.

Technically, there's no written "standard" for troubleshooting Cisco devices. You will find contradictory information all over CCO regarding troubleshooting. Honestly though, I do not think that this change will have any "best practices" approach for troubleshooting as you will always come out with the same final conclusion(weather it works or not). With that said, if they are expecting some kind of configuration change to get something to work then you're going to have to know the best possible way to FIX what your troubleshot... totally different ball of wax here and seriously treading on CCIE criteria(which it should). Being a CCNP and moving to the CCIE there is a MASSIVE learning curve for those that simply study from a book and dont lab, which Cisco is fully aware of. They are trying to make that curve smaller, therefore forcing people to start labbing the technology.

I think the troubleshooting section will be easy. It may look daunting(I could totally see Cisco using the SAME ype topology as they do for the r&s 4.0) at first but keep in mind this is a professional level certification. This is not the CCIE, so I highly doubt there is going to be many misleading troubleshooting questions, etc.

Again, like ive always said.. as long as you prepare like a real CCNP(doing tons of labbing) you will be ready for tshoot EASILY.

btw, thanks for the laugh neo... troubleshooting theory... love it :D(yeah yeah, I know what you meant!)

Honestly I'm highly looking forward to the troubleshooting section. Finishing my CCNP and moving to CCIE is my ultimate goal once my degree is done (cmon December!) and I think this will help prep people for what to expect exam wise. I'm obviously not talking material wise as you've stated and I've looked over the R&S blueprint, there's massive gap between NP and IE. Anyone can take an exam and pass, but if you can't apply the knowledge and resolve issues then it's pointless. CCNP level knowledge, you should be able to resolve issues.

Back